[comp.windows.ms] Device Driver Development

grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) (07/12/90)

In article <55766@microsoft.UUCP> bobt@microsoft.UUCP (Bob TANIGUCHI) writes:
>In the past, the DDK and win/386 kits dependant upon tools not contained
>in the SDK, i.e. special linker versions, etc.  However, today this is
>not the case.  Contained in the Windows 3.0 SDK is a fulfillment card for
>the DDK, and for the OS/2 SMK (Software Migration Kit).
>
>The new DDK contains all you'll need to do either Win 3.0 drivers and
>VDD's as well.
>
>Bob Taniguchi
>Advanced Operating Systems Group
>Microsoft

How much device driver development can you do without the DDK?  I would like
to do a very simple interrupt routine that simply PostMessage()'s a message
to the (one and only one) application that will be using the driver.  I know
that PostMessage() is ok, as described in the DLL chapter of the "Guide to
Programming".  What are things do I need to watch out for/be careful of?  Is
there a function in the SPI to install an interrupt handler?

Thanks for any info.

Mark

Mark D. Grosen		ARPA: grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu
Signal Processing Lab / Communications Research Lab
ECE Dept.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

thj@mtcchi.uucp (XT0221000-Tom Hjellming(ZG90210)0000) (07/12/90)

jjr@sgtech.uucp (John Radigan) writes:

>   After a few phone calls I'm still confused. Does the SDK (for Win3) contain
>the Device Driver Development Kit, or is the DDK a separate product ? Can the
>DDK be purchased from dealers or only from Microsoft ?

 No, my copy of the Win 3.0 SDK does not include the DDK.  The DDK is a
 separate product.  The Win 3.0 SDK has an order form for the DDK in it.
 The order form says to send $500 + tax + shipping ($7.50/kit) with the order
 coupon to the following address:
	 Microsoft DDK Kit Offer
	 21919 20th Avenue SE
	 Box 3011
	 Bothell, WA  98041-3011

 It also says that if you have any questions about the offer, to call
 the Microsoft Information Center at (800) 426-9400.  For technical questions
 call the Microsoft Product Support Staff at (206) 454-2030.

 I don't know if you _have_ to have the coupon/order form to order the DDK.

 I also don't know if you can order it from software houses.  I tried a couple
 (Elek-Tek and Programmer's Paradise) but no one knew anything about the DDK.

>--
>John Radigan, Star Gate Technologies, Solon, Ohio  (216) 349-1860 x666
>[...cwjcc!ncoast ...uunet!abvax ...ism780c ...sco ...mstar]!sgtech!jjr

Tom Hjellming
Analysts International Corporation (AiC)
Schaumburg, IL

barber@.UUCP (Steve Barber) (07/18/90)

thj@mtcchi.uucp (XT0221000-Tom Hjellming(ZG90210)0000) writes:

>jjr@sgtech.uucp (John Radigan) writes:

> I don't know if you _have_ to have the coupon/order form to order the DDK.

No, you don't need to have the coupon to order it. They're quite willing to
take your credit card number right over the phone.
.
Steve Barber
Rabbit Software Corporation
barber@hutch.uucp   ..!uunet!cbmvax!hutch!barber