[comp.windows.ms] 3.0 / Excel 2.1c - memory usage

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (07/19/90)

In article <8314@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com>, maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:
> I have 3.0 and Excel 2.1c on my 386 at home and on my PS/2 at work.
> Excel has the "3-d" effect on the PS/2, but not on the other machine.
> Anyone know why?
> On a similar note I have a spreadsheet on the machine at home that
> always comes up in a half-window; I have to maximum it first thing.
> The same spreadsheet comes up in full-screen at work. Im at a loss
> on what to do - Microsoft support told me to save it to another
> file and try it - but I had the same results.

On the topic of Excel 2.1c, my impression is that it's still using Expanded
memory. I loaded a few charts and ran out of memory with 1.5 MB of memory
available! Can someone confirm or deny this. Should I have an EMS driver loaded?
I think DOS 4 comes with a XMS2EMS.SYS driver which should do the trick.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |