[comp.windows.ms] switching between modeless dlg & main window w/keyboard

carlc@mars.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Carl Christofferson) (07/14/90)

Does anybody know how to move from a modeless dialog box to an app's main
window and vice versa using only the keyboard (user has no mouse) or if this
is even possible?  I've looked through the manual for the technique and
even called Microsoft (and waited!) only to have the girl transfer me to
SDK support which is non-existent.  If it is in the manual, you can say
RTFM, but PLEASE give me the page number!

Thanks for any help!

Carl Christofferson
carlc@mars.SanDiego.NCR.COM
disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed are entirely my own ...

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (07/17/90)

Carl Christofferson writes:

> Does anybody know how to move from a modeless dialog box
> to an app's main window and vice versa using only the
> keyboard (user has no mouse) or if this is even possible?

There is no general support within Windows for this.  If
you need to be able to do this in your own app, you have
to come up with your own interface and code it yourself.
Unfortunate, to be sure.  In hDC's Windows Express, we use
control-tab to switch between the modeless Quick Key windows
and the main window.

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corporation

russpj@microsoft.UUCP (Russ PAUL-JONES) (07/19/90)

In article <345@nwnexus.WA.COM> (Michael Roper) writes:
|Carl Christofferson writes:
|
|> Does anybody know how to move from a modeless dialog box
|> to an app's main window and vice versa using only the
|> keyboard (user has no mouse) or if this is even possible?
|
|There is no general support within Windows for this.  If
|you need to be able to do this in your own app, you have
|to come up with your own interface and code it yourself.
|Unfortunate, to be sure.  In hDC's Windows Express, we use
|control-tab to switch between the modeless Quick Key windows
|and the main window.
|
|Michael Roper
|hDC Computer Corporation

Mike, just because you won this argument does not mean that
you should spread your propaganda on the net.  No, Windows
does not directly provide this feature, but there is a
suggested keyboad interface, Alt+F6 (from the CUA, p. 149).
I'll still admit that Ctrl+Tab makes sense; why not implement
both?

-Russ Paul-Jones

Disclaimer:  While I work for Microsoft, I do not speak for
them.  Since I no longer work for hDC, I do not speak for them
either.

davidds@microsoft.UUCP (David D'SOUZA) (07/19/90)

CUA specifies the ALT-F6 key to move between modeless dialog boxes
and the app.  Windows 3.0 should automatically support this for
you.

-Dave