[comp.windows.ms] WINWORD WIZARDS and fireWORKS

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) (07/14/90)

Thanks, again, to Robert X. Cringely, of InfoWorld, for the this key sequence:

   In Word for Windows: select FORMAT; select DEFINE STYLES; select OPTIONS;
   set NORMAL ON NORMAL; see "can't do that" message; OK CANCEL; select HELP;
   select ABOUT WORD; CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P, U, and S keys
   simultaneously, and the dialog box fills with fireworks plus developer
   names and titles (like "penguin trainers").

I like this even better than the MSWindows3 wallpaper showing people involved
with that project.  Again, as the names appear to be email names, I wonder if
the billg under "Management" is THE Bill Gates?

pcm@bby.oz (Paul C. McLeish) (07/16/90)

In article <3130020@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
   Thanks, again, to Robert X. Cringely, of InfoWorld, for the this key sequence:

      In Word for Windows: select FORMAT; select DEFINE STYLES; select OPTIONS;
      set NORMAL ON NORMAL; see "can't do that" message; OK CANCEL; select HELP;
      select ABOUT WORD; CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P, U, and S keys
      simultaneously, and the dialog box fills with fireworks plus developer
      names and titles (like "penguin trainers").

The only keys actually required are :

select HELP;  select ABOUT WORD;  CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P, U, and S keys
simultaneously
Paul McLeish, Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Internet: pcm@melba.bby.oz.au    non-MX: pcm%melba.bby.oz@uunet.uu.net
Uucp: {uunet,mnetor,pyramid,ubc-vision,ukc,mcvax,...}!munnari!melba.bby.oz!pcm
Phone: +61 3 614 8922
Fax: +61 3 614 8742

     "It takes 3 pigs with dermatitis to make one packet of pork scratchings"
			Who Dares Wins

pcm@bby.oz (Paul C. McLeish) (07/17/90)

In article <PCM.90Jul16142014@bottle.bby.oz> pcm@bby.oz (Paul C. McLeish) writes:
   In article <3130020@hplsla.HP.COM> davidr@hplsla.HP.COM (David M. Reed) writes:
      Thanks, again, to Robert X. Cringely, of InfoWorld, for the this key sequence:
	 In Word for Windows: select FORMAT; select DEFINE STYLES; select OPTIONS;
   The only keys actually required are :
   select HELP;  select ABOUT WORD;  CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P, U, and S keys
   simultaneously
   Paul McLeish, Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd, Melbourne, Australia

Ok
So apart from being completely and utterly in-correct, I wasn't right weren't I !
Sorry

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/17/90)

McLeish) writes:

>The only keys actually required are :

>select HELP; select ABOUT WORD; CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P,
>U, and S keys simultaneously

That's what I thought too.  However, if you exit WFW and restart the
application, then open the Help About dialog box and do what you said,
you won't get the fireworks and message.  While it's true that the
dialog box has the input focus, those keystrokes alone won't activate
the animated message.  It must be checking a variable for an error
condition before it responds correctly to the keystrokes.  So you do
have to go through the whole procedure to activate the animation.
Once you've set the error condition once (and don't terminate this
instance of the application) then you need only go to the Help About
dialog box to repeat the animation.

David

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

lhv@philpav.UUCP (Leo H.Vermeulen) (07/18/90)

In article <PCM.90Jul16142014@bottle.bby.oz>, pcm@bby.oz (Paul C. McLeish) writes:
>    In Word for Windows: select FORMAT; select DEFINE STYLES; select OPTIONS;
>    set NORMAL ON NORMAL; see "can't do that" message; OK CANCEL; select HELP;
>    select ABOUT WORD; CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P, U, and S keys
>    simultaneously, and the dialog box fills with fireworks plus developer
>    names and titles (like "penguin trainers").
>
> select HELP;  select ABOUT WORD;  CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P, U, and S keys
> simultaneously

I tried both the above key sequences, but nothing happens. I'm running version
1.0 of W4W. Any suggestions??

--
  |----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leo Vermeulen, Philips TDS, Stockholm, Sweden            |   This is no       |

jmorriso@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (07/18/90)

>      Thanks, again, to Robert X. Cringely, of InfoWorld, for the this key sequence:
>	 In Word for Windows: select FORMAT; select DEFINE STYLES; select OPTIONS;
>   The only keys actually required are :
>   select HELP;  select ABOUT WORD;  CAPSLOCK key ON; Hold down the O, P, U, and S keys
>   simultaneously

Sorry, but that is NOT true! AT least for me. When I first run winword, I have
to do the previous steps to get the messsage. After that, typing O P U S works
ok.

jeffmu@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MUZZY) (07/18/90)

I always did like our Winword one better=).
--
jeffmu@microsoft or uunet!microsoft!jeffmu    MaBellNet: (206) 882-8080
<Insert your favorite disclaimer about opinions and companies here>

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/19/90)

In article <55904@microsoft.UUCP> jeffmu@microsoft.UUCP (Jeff MUZZY)
writes:

>I always did like our Winword one better=).

I showed that to one of the guys here and he said "Hey, that's neat.
But why didn't they go ahead and make it so that the fireworks runs as
a screen blanker too?"

Jeff????