[comp.windows.ms] Anyone got "vi" for Windows ?

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (07/13/90)

Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?

How about getting a well-behaved DOS vi to run in a window ?

	Robert Heath
	NCR Corp
	Cola., SC

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (07/14/90)

->Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?
->How about getting a well-behaved DOS vi to run in a window ?

 I have the DOS video bios version of the lastest Stevie vi-clone that
 runs fine under Win 3.0 in enhanced mode, by just poping up a DOS
 "command.com" window.  No problem with cursor movements, etc.

eddjp@althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi) (07/14/90)

In article <6315@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
-Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?
-
-How about getting a well-behaved DOS vi to run in a window ?

I've been running the MS-DOS vi clone STEVIE in a window under
Windows 3.0 on my 386 and it runs very nicely. STEVIE is available from
various archive sites, and I think it's a great port of the real thing.
--
Dewey Paciaffi
eddjp@althea.UUCP

dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) (07/17/90)

In article <6315@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?

Who would even want to use vi?

--
David Leach

disclaimer: "I speak for no one . . . just ask my wife!"

pete@northstar90 (Peter Schmitt) (07/18/90)

dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:

>In article <6315@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>>Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?

>Who would even want to use vi?

I would if it starts up faster then WRITE or WORD?

-pete

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (07/18/90)

In an article dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) wrote:
>In article <6315@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>>Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?

>Who would even want to use vi?

Maybe those who use vi in a window under X on their workstations at their job?
Old habits die hard.

--
John Dudeck                                 "I always ask them, How well do
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                            you want it tested?"

karl@ficc.ferranti.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (07/18/90)

In article <594@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:
>Who would even want to use vi?

I've got an idea!  Let's have a flame war in comp.windows.ms over whether vi
is good editor or not!

Better yet, let's not!

See you in alt.religion.computers...
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl  	"I am here by the will of the people and I won't leave
   uunet!sugar!karl	 until I get my raincoat back." -- Metrophage

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (07/19/90)

In article <594@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:
>In article <6315@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>>Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?
>
>Who would even want to use vi?

People who already use vi on other operating systems (i.e. UNIX).
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

stdtm@uokmax.uucp (Timothy A. Melton) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.212602.15720@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <594@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:
>>In article <6315@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>>>Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?
>>
>>Who would even want to use vi?
>
>People who already use vi on other operating systems (i.e. UNIX).

AND people who realize that vi is one of the most powerful editors around,
ONCE you learn it.  As for the learning curve.....  :-)

>--
>Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
>  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy
>      Ontario, CANADA N2J 2W9      Phone: 519-884-2251  FAX: 519-884-8861

Timothy A Melton                             University of Oklahoma
Graduate Student                        Deptartment of Chemical Engineering

heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.212602.15720@mks.com> andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) writes:
>In article <594@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com> dleach@dptspd.sat.datapoint.com (David Leach) writes:
>>In article <6315@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> heath@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Robert Heath) writes:
>>>Does anyone have a version of good 'ole UNIX vi for Windows ?
>>
>>Who would even want to use vi?
>
>People who already use vi on other operating systems (i.e. UNIX).
>--
>Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com

That's why I'm now using MKS' vi in a window!

	Robert Heath