[comp.windows.ms] Printing WinWord remotely? /// Win3.0 Genoa VGA driver?

markad@blake.u.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) (07/13/90)

1) I am trying to print the output from WinWord on a remote NeXT printer.
I print to a file, with the output comfigured for a Apple Laser Writer Plus.
I save the printer initialization text to a file. I zmodem them up to the lab.
I cat them together. I look at it and it looks generally like postscript.

I try printing it with 'lpr text.eps'  - it spools, then dissapears without
any noticable effect on the printer. The printer is working and will print
other files.

I also tried to print them on a Apple Laser Writer Plus hooked up to a Sun
in the lab. It printer out 'Error: spooled binary file rejected'.

What am I doing wrong? Surely it can be done.

2) When I bring up windows in 386 mode, the screen blanks, although everything
seems to be running fine. Someone mentioned that it might be that I have
windows configured with the wrong driver. I have a genoa 5200 (?) video card.
Does anyone out there know what driver will work with it? Or should I
try to contact Genoa and get it from them?

PreThanks
Mark

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (07/13/90)

In article <4995@milton.u.washington.edu>, markad@blake.u.washington.edu
(Mark Donnell) writes:
> 1) I am trying to print the output from WinWord on a remote NeXT printer.
> I print to a file, with the output comfigured for a Apple Laser Writer Plus.
> I save the printer initialization text to a file. I zmodem them up to
the lab.
> I cat them together. I look at it and it looks generally like postscript.
>
> I try printing it with 'lpr text.eps'  - it spools, then dissapears without
> any noticable effect on the printer. The printer is working and will print
> other files.
>
> I also tried to print them on a Apple Laser Writer Plus hooked up to a Sun
> in the lab. It printer out 'Error: spooled binary file rejected'.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Surely it can be done.

> Mark

I would also like to find out what the problem is.

I used a SUN and a postscript printer and the message I got was the same:

       'Error: spooled binary file rejected'

Thanks in advance for any hints,

		Andrzej

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej
BitNet:  andrzej@BNR.CA
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,    Phone: (613) 763-2259
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7         Fax:   (613) 763-3283

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (07/13/90)

Try removing the Ctrl-D characters from the beginning and ending of the
file you are trying to print.

Also, why do you need to save the init strings to a separate file,
they should be saved as part of the file when you print to FILE: from
within Windows.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

markg@cbnewsk.att.com (mark.r.gibaldi) (07/14/90)

I have had no trouble at all printing laserwriter II NT output remotely
as the original poster has had.  I set up the printer to print to a file.
Deep in the printer configration dialog boxes, it asks whether or not to
create an "encapsulated" postcript file on output.  I said yes.

I then print to disk, kermit it up to the host computer, and print it on
the laser writer.  Two points.   1) do not send any printer initialization
strings.  The printer by default expects valid postscript files.  2) make
sure you send the "raw" file to the printer.  Most print spoolers run
through filters which create a postscript file designed to recreate the
original file inputed.  For example use lpr -o raw.

Mark R. Gibaldi
AT&T Bell Laboratories
mrg@cblph.att.com

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/16/90)

In article <4995@milton.u.washington.edu>
markad@blake.u.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) writes:

>1) I am trying to print the output from WinWord on a remote NeXT
>printer.  I print to a file, with the output comfigured for a Apple
>Laser Writer Plus.  I save the printer initialization text to a file.
>I zmodem them up to the lab.  I cat them together. I look at it and it
>looks generally like postscript.

>I try printing it with 'lpr text.eps' - it spools, then dissapears
>without any noticable effect on the printer. The printer is working
>and will print other files.

Mark -- The next time you print to a file with the windows postscript
driver, take a look at the result.  The first line in the file will
have something like this (without the quotes) "^D%! Adobe 2.0".

The problem is that ^D as the 1st character.  The Apple printers want
to see the %! as the 1st two characters in a postscript file,
otherwise it will look like something is printing, but you get no
output.  If you manually edit your file, you only need to replace the
first line with %!.  Everything else in the first line is just extra
text.  The %! tells the printer "Postscript commin' at ya".  The ^D in
front of that signal confuses the printer.  It doesn't properly parse
the line.  I believe that ^D is an attempt to force a top of page
(i.e. kicks out a sheet).

I wrote a simple program in C to filter the Control-D out of the file.
So my procedure for printing to a remote printer is as follows:

1) Print to a file using the postscript driver from whatever windows
application you're in

2) Exit windows and filter out that ^D

3) Issue the lpr filename command command to the remote printer.

I print to a SUN that is set up as a server.  This procedure works fine.

David

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

stancil@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Glen Stancil) (07/18/90)

After much wasted upload time and senseless agravation, we discovered that
the Windows (2.1 in our case) postscript driver puts a CTRL-D at the top
and bottom of all files printed "to file".  By editing out these two
characters, the files printed successfully.  The environment is a PS/2
printing postscript to a file:  uploading to a SUN fileserver: printing
to a network Apple Laserwriter. (als true using other fileservers -
encore multimax e.g.)

---flame on
If Microsoft could get rid of the (&)^( CTRL-D's, the world would be a
much safer place.
---flame off

I was hoping that this would be fixed in Win3 (mine is "in the mail"), but
it seems as not.... ah, the joys of vi.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say, and hear what is meant to be said.
             Lewis Carroll              +           Webb's corrolary
Andy Webb - currently stancil@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (07/20/90)

The Ctrl-D's are necessary for printing Postscript from DOS
to printers such as the Laserwriter and HP LJets with the
Pacific Page Postscript cartridges.

They only get in the way when printing Postscript on Non-DOS
machines.  Maybe an option should be placed as to whether or
not the Ctrl-Ds should be sent, however, as it stands I would
hate it greatly if the Ctrl-D's were removed since it would
cause a large amount of confusion for those simple folks who
only use DOS and need to print Postscript.

Most programs (such as Corel Draw) state that when printing
to a File in order to send it to a Professional printer for
printing that the Ctrl-D's must be removed.  My suggestion
would be to write a short Unix filter (maybe with AWK) that would
strip the control D's from your files and then send it to lpr.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

chrisg@microsoft.UUCP (Chris GUZAK) (07/20/90)

In article <34226@ut-emx.UUCP> stancil@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Glen Stancil) writes:
>After much wasted upload time and senseless agravation, we discovered that
>the Windows (2.1 in our case) postscript driver puts a CTRL-D at the top
>and bottom of all files printed "to file".  By editing out these two
>characters, the files printed successfully.  The environment is a PS/2
>---flame on
>If Microsoft could get rid of the (&)^( CTRL-D's, the world would be a
>much safer place.
>---flame off

The windows postscript driver generates printer dependant code.
It is intended to be sent straight to a particular printer.  This
is so we can support printer dependant features like different
paper sizes, input sources, and resolutions.  Most PS printers
require the ^D to terminate the job, without it they won't print.

If you want to generate printer indpendant code, use the "Print to EPS
File" option in the win3 driver. NOTE! this is not the same as
printing to a FILE:.  The output generated does not contain printer
dependant code (well, not very much) and may not print without
putting a ^D at the end.

If you intend to pipe your printer output through an OS that thinks
^D means end of file you will have to add a filter.

>Say what you mean, and mean what you say, and hear what is meant to be said.
>             Lewis Carroll              +           Webb's corrolary
>Andy Webb - currently stancil@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

delahunt@adobe.COM (Jim DeLaHunt) (07/20/90)

This discussion on %! and control-D in PostScript(R) language files
perpetuated some common misconceptions; I'd like to clear them up.
I hope David Sampson will forgive me for picking on his message.

In article <DSAMPSON.90Jul16111525@x102a.harris-atd.com>
dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) writes:
>In article <4995@milton.u.washington.edu>
>markad@blake.u.washington.edu (Mark Donnell) writes:
>
>>1) I am trying to print the output from WinWord on a remote NeXT
>>printer.  I print to a file....
>>I try printing it with 'lpr text.eps' - it spools, then dissapears....
>
>Mark -- The next time you print to a file with the windows postscript
>driver, take a look at the result.  The first line in the file will
>have something like this (without the quotes) "^D%! Adobe 2.0".
>The problem is that ^D as the 1st character.

This much is correct.

>						The Apple printers want
>to see the %! as the 1st two characters in a postscript file...
>The %! tells the printer "Postscript commin' at ya".  The ^D in
>front of that signal confuses the printer.  It doesn't properly parse
>the line.  I believe that ^D is an attempt to force a top of page
>(i.e. kicks out a sheet).

This is a common misconception.  In fact, the ^D byte ($04) is a protocol
used by the serial and Centronics drivers in many PostScript printers, and
it means "end of job".  Other communications methods may have out-of-band
ways of conveying the same information: e.g. AppleTalk has an out-of-band
"end of job" signal and so does not intercept ^D bytes in the input stream.

The "%!" is a convention which means "this is a PostScript language program",
rather than text, or PCL, or whatever.  It conforms nicely to the Un*x
convention that the first two bytes of the file tell how to handle it --
remember "#!/bin/sh"?  Since "%!" starts with "%", it is a PostScript comment,
and the PostScript interpreter ignores it.  (There are other conventions;
ask Adobe Developer Support for the Document Structuring Conventions spec.)

The standard Windows PostScript language driver, mixing protocol and page
description, emits a page description with ^D bytes before and after it.  If
you send this stream to a printer via a serial or parallel port, the
printer's RS232C or Centronics drivers interpret the initial ^D as the end
of a (null) job and remove it from the input stream.  The following bytes
are the next job.  The drivers interpret the final ^D byte as an end-of-job
signal, remove it from the input stream, and pass the end-of-job signal to
the interpreter.  The interpreter reverts to its initial state and waits for
the next job.

If you intercept the Windows driver's stream into a file, and print it with
the NeXT's 'lpr', it is sent to the Display PostScript interpreter via a
NeXT-internal method, with an out-of-band protocol for end-of-job signals.
(The same problem arises if your Un*x box sends the file to a printer via
AppleTalk.)  The ^D bytes have no special meaning, so they are passed to the
interpreter.  The interpreter treats the initial ^D byte as an undefined
PostScript name, and flushes the job with an error.

However, David came up with exactly the right workaround:

>I wrote a simple program in C to filter the Control-D out of the file.
>So my procedure for printing to a remote printer is as follows:
>
>1) Print to a file using the postscript driver from whatever windows
>application you're in
>
>2) Exit windows and filter out that ^D
>
>3) Issue the lpr filename command command to the remote printer.

I hope this explanation is helpful.

>David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
>dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
>uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

	--Jim DeLaHunt		delahunt@adobe.com		    (Internet)
	  Technical Support	...!{sun,apple,decwrl}!adobe!delahunt   (UUCP)
	  Adobe Systems Inc.	+1-415-962-3790 (Phone)	 +1-415-961-3769 (Fax)