[comp.windows.ms] COM3, modem, and 386 enhanced mode

kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Kingsley F. Kerce) (07/19/90)

I'd be grateful for suggestions concerning the following problem.
Email responses if possible, please--summary may follow.

Problem: Modem doesn't respond to software when machine is operating
under MS Windows 3.0 386 enhanced mode (or standard mode).  Works fine
under real mode.

Software: MS Terminal, Telix 3.12 (ProComm clone), Win 3.0, MS-DOS
4.01
Hardware: 20MHz 80386 Gateway 2000 w/ BT-3MM (SMT) motherboard, ATI
2400etc modem

Symptoms: Running Windows under the 386 and standard modes results in
a MS Terminal startup message saying "COM3 assigned to another
application" and asking if I'd like to reassign it to the current
process.  My `yes' response causes another message to appear saying
that COM2 and COM1 will be tried if I click `OK', and then I'm allowed
access to the Terminal session--answering `no' results in Terminal
continuing as it would normally.  In any event, attempting to dial out
locks the machine, forcing cold reboot.

If I use Telix instead of Terminal, Telix displays the familiar
"Initializing Modem" message and then freezes.  At this point, I can
`Terminate' the Telix process to regain control to Windows.

Running Windows under real mode brings about none of the above
symptoms.

Unsuccessful fixes: First I tried DIP switching the modem to other COM
ports, etc., to no avail.  Next, I saw the 34instal program posted on
c.b.i.p and ran 34ins before starting Windows in 386 mode.  This
resulted in no startup alarms from MS Terminal, but dialing was a
failure.  Telix simply froze at modem init time as before.

Anyone experienced this?  Thanks in advance,
--
Kingsley Kerce             USnail: Dept. of Computer Sci. (or Dept. of Psych.)
Email: kerce@nu.cs.fsu.edu         Florida State University

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/20/90)

I posted a note on my experiences with getting win3 to work with Com3 and Com4.
Basically, you need the following steps:

 a) Use the 34install program (I hope there's only one we are all talking
    about) so that the net effect of running this program is to put the
    address of com3 and com4 into locations 40:4 and 40:6. There seem to
    be a few popular addresses - com3 = 3e8h and com4 = 2e8h (which are
    not the Windows default) worked for me.

 b) Modify your system.ini to include the lines
      Com3Base=3e8h
   Com4Base=2e8h
    (using the addresses used with 34install, obviously)

 c) Look in your win.ini file. If you had a modem when you setup windows, you
    will find a line like Modem=ComX,T,3. Modify X so that it is the com port
    on which you have the modem.

I also started compiling a list of com address pairs that people reported had
worked. In my infinite wisdom, I ended up deleteing the file. Last it had were
three pairs of com4/3 addresses.

Hope this helps.

Milan
.

mikel@pyrps5 (Mike Lipsie) (07/20/90)

In article <118500045@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I posted a note on my experiences with getting win3 to work with Com3 and Com4.
>Basically, you need the following steps:
>
> a) Use the 34install program (I hope there's only one we are all talking
>    about) so that the net effect of running this program is to put the
>    address of com3 and com4 into locations 40:4 and 40:6. There seem to
>    be a few popular addresses - com3 = 3e8h and com4 = 2e8h (which are
>    not the Windows default) worked for me.

I run DOS 3.3.  I did not need to run any such program.  It might be
necessary in early version of DOS but 3.3 has COM3 and COM4.

> b) Modify your system.ini to include the lines
>      Com3Base=3e8h
>   Com4Base=2e8h
>    (using the addresses used with 34install, obviously)

It is NOT NOT NOT the address used with the 34install.  It is the address
that your modem is looking for.  If you do need 34install, enter the addresses
that your modem documentation gives.

BTW, this step (modifying Com3Base) was the critical one for my getting
the modem to work.

> c) Look in your win.ini file. If you had a modem when you setup windows, you
>    will find a line like Modem=ComX,T,3. Modify X so that it is the com port
>    on which you have the modem.

On my system it was already Com3.  The problem was the ",T,3" was
missing.

This line is in the [Terminal] section of WIN.INI.

Good luck.

Mike Lipsie                               mikel@pyramid.com
Pyramid Technology Corp, Mountain View, CA  +1 415 335 8657
"Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Phil Frank