[comp.windows.ms] SDK, good

dpalmans@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Daniel Palmans) (07/13/90)

>*.asm, bad, baaaaad.  Before 3.0, no assembler in demos, after 3.0,
>masm required.  Location on my drive not secure........(SNL)
> ... [stuff deleted ]
>one of these products, oh please.  I can't afford to buy more.  I
>thought QC 2.51 had an assembler but realized it is just inline.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
not true !.  If you load a file with the asm extension you get a full
assembler!

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (07/14/90)

In article <11403@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@gator.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>*.asm, bad, baaaaad.  Before 3.0, no assembler in demos, after 3.0,
>masm required.  Location on my drive not secure........(SNL)
>
>Got sdk, I am elated to see client server demos...Again I have much
>inital excitement over this stuff.  Using win3.0 has cooled off;  I had
>to reinstall windows again (PS/2 70)...somehow, program manager had
>no groups or icons in it?!!@!  Also, I once kill program manager and
>other things were still running???
>
>I started re-compiling my windows program and the demos.  I noticed that
>several demos have *.asm files.  I have MSC 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, SDK 2.0,2.1,3.0,
>Quick 2.0 2.? and 2.51, win 286, 386, 3.0, the new excel and winword also.
>
>Please, oh please tell me that masm is somewhere burried and unpacked on
>one of these products, oh please.  I can't afford to buy more.  I
>thought QC 2.51 had an assembler but realized it is just inline.
>
>Is there a PD masm MSC 6.0 compatible available?

I just got my SDK installed yesterday, didn't look at the sample files yet.
(Too busy palying with spy and such). It said in the installation manual that
either MSC 5.1 or later or MASM 5.1 or later were required, but didn't mention
that both were required. Maybe they weren't talking about the demo's. Bummer.

I should be getting my TC2.0++ Pro soon. It includes TASM which is supposed to
be MASM compatible. I hope it works. If not, shell out more $$$.

BTW, I was impressed with the service on the SDK, a week ago last Tuesday, got
the package on Monday Fed-ex second day.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

johnha@microsoft.UUCP (John HAGERSON) (07/21/90)

MASM is not required for the SDK.  The .ASM code that is included as
part of the sample applications is also provided as .OBJ files from
the assembler.

John Hagerson

Discliamer:  I don't speak for Microsoft, and it doesn't speak for me.