[comp.windows.ms] 3.0 / Excel 2.1c

maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) (07/18/90)

I have 3.0 and Excel 2.1c on my 386 at home and on my PS/2 at work.
Excel has the "3-d" effect on the PS/2, but not on the other machine.
Anyone know why?
On a similar note I have a spreadsheet on the machine at home that
always comes up in a half-window; I have to maximum it first thing.
The same spreadsheet comes up in full-screen at work. Im at a loss
on what to do - Microsoft support told me to save it to another
file and try it - but I had the same results.
Appreciate any help
Mark Aurit
maurit@nrtc.northrop.com

abukarb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bassam A. Abu-Karroum) (07/19/90)

In article <8314@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:
>I have 3.0 and Excel 2.1c on my 386 at home and on my PS/2 at work.
>Excel has the "3-d" effect on the PS/2, but not on the other machine.
>Anyone know why?

Check that Win 3.0 is NOT running in REAL or STANDARD mode with the old
version of Excel, i.e. 2.10. One other thing you could try is that install
the mis-behaved version on your other computer and see if it behaves any
differecnt.

>On a similar note I have a spreadsheet on the machine at home that
>always comes up in a half-window; I have to maximum it first thing.
>The same spreadsheet comes up in full-screen at work. Im at a loss
>on what to do - Microsoft support told me to save it to another
>file and try it - but I had the same results.

Are you saving the file as NORMAL or is it some other format?
Try the following open the file, size it to the desired size and then
save it as NORMAL. It always worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Sam

mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) (07/20/90)

In article <8314@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:
>I have 3.0 and Excel 2.1c on my 386 at home and on my PS/2 at work.
>Excel has the "3-d" effect on the PS/2, but not on the other machine.
>Anyone know why?
Another thing to check is your background colours, etc. I have heard that
various background colours make the 3-D effect invisible. Try different
background colours and see if the 3-D effect becomes apparent.
Gary Mussar  |Bitnet:  mussar@bnr.ca                  |  Phone: (613) 763-4937
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars53!mussar |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626

johnha@microsoft.UUCP (John HAGERSON) (07/21/90)

In article <8314@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:
>I have 3.0 and Excel 2.1c on my 386 at home and on my PS/2 at work.
>Excel has the "3-d" effect on the PS/2, but not on the other machine.
>Anyone know why?

What video driver are you running at home?
The PS/2 has at least a VGA and runs the 3D effect.
If you have an EGA at home, like I do, the palette of colors is
much smaller and so the 3D effects are much less pronounced.

John Hagerson

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Microsoft and it doesn't speak for me.