[comp.windows.ms] Associating Files with Applications

wdlee@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David Lee) (07/21/90)

Has anyone noticed that the caret (^) fails to operate as advertised
when placed in the [Extensions] section of WIN.INI? The caret is intended
to represent the file name (no extension). However, I find that the caret
passes BOTH the filename and extension, and also ignores any extension
that I explicitly place in WIN.INI. i.e.
txt=edit ^.txt
txt=edit ^
txt=edit ^.FOO
EACH of the above would have the same effect when placed in WIN.INI.
Can you shed some light on this?
Dave.

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (07/22/90)

In article <34178@ut-emx.UUCP>, wdlee@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David Lee) writes:
> Has anyone noticed that the caret (^) fails to operate as advertised
> when placed in the [Extensions] section of WIN.INI? The caret is intended
> to represent the file name (no extension). However, I find that the caret
> passes BOTH the filename and extension, and also ignores any extension
> that I explicitly place in WIN.INI. i.e.
> txt=edit ^.txt
> txt=edit ^
> txt=edit ^.FOO
> EACH of the above would have the same effect when placed in WIN.INI.
> Can you shed some light on this?
> Dave.

According to the Windows Reference Guide, when you wish to associate a file
type with a program, you must put the entire program name in the win.ini file.
Thus:

txt=edit.exe ^.txt

If the program does not reside in your search path, you should also include
the appropriate pathname to the editor program.

You can also use the "Associate" selection from the File menu, when working
in the File Manager.  The process is described on page 136 in the User's
Guide.

Hope this helps.

Eric, tinkerer-at-large
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what