[comp.windows.ms] Real Mode Windows under 386 Enhanced Mode and SHARE

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (07/12/90)

I think I seen reference to this before, but I can't remember how it got
resolved...

I'm trying to run some Win 2 apps under Win 3.  I have a 386 running DOS
4.01 and SHARE.EXE is loaded in CONFIG.SYS.  I want to be able to run
Real Mode Windows as a window under Enhanced Mode.  This works fine on
my home PC.  It uses Compaq DOS 3.31, so I don't use SHARE.  When I go
to load Real Mode on my DOS 4 machine, the Windows logo comes up, then I
get:

Sharing violation reading drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail

I looked in the manual to see how to do it, but it doesn't mention
running Real Mode as a window under Enhanced Mode.  It says to start
Windows in Real Mode.  Right...

My ear just isn't up to 30 minutes on hold to talk to a rep, so I'm
coming to all you brilliant netters out there.

Is the solution to avoid loading SHARE?

Do I really need SHARE?

BTW, I have a 300 MByte disk in a single partition.

TIA,

Marshall
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (07/12/90)

The solution to running Windows in real mode under Enhanced mode
with SHARE active is to make the Windows files Read Only, then you
can't have a Write-Write conflict and SHARE leaves the files
accessible.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

markg@cbnewsk.att.com (mark.r.gibaldi) (07/12/90)

In article <marshall.647717065@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:

>I think I seen reference to this before, but I can't remember how it got
>resolved...
>
>I'm trying to run some Win 2 apps under Win 3.  I have a 386 running DOS
>4.01 and SHARE.EXE is loaded in CONFIG.SYS.  I want to be able to run
>Real Mode Windows as a window under Enhanced Mode.  This works fine on
>my home PC.  It uses Compaq DOS 3.31, so I don't use SHARE.  When I go
>to load Real Mode on my DOS 4 machine, the Windows logo comes up, then I
>get:
>
>Sharing violation reading drive C
>Abort, Retry, Fail
>
>I looked in the manual to see how to do it, but it doesn't mention
>running Real Mode as a window under Enhanced Mode.  It says to start
>Windows in Real Mode.  Right...
>
>My ear just isn't up to 30 minutes on hold to talk to a rep, so I'm
>coming to all you brilliant netters out there.
>
>Is the solution to avoid loading SHARE?
>
>Do I really need SHARE?
>
>BTW, I have a 300 MByte disk in a single partition.
>
>TIA,
>
>Marshall
>--
>Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
>Senior Computer Engineer             VOICE: (303)231-1014
>Wind Research Branch                 1617 Cole Blvd., Golden, CO  80401-3393
>Solar Energy Research Institute      Solar - safe energy for a healthy future

I have the same setup with a 122meg drive.  I have had the same experience.
I did find out that SHARE is the reason you are getting the error.  Both
Windows are trying to open the same files.  I don't know if you absolutely
have to have SHARE loaded, but if you don't you get a message at boot time
that claims that you need SHARE with >32 meg partitions.

Hope this helps a little.

Mark R. Gibaldi
AT&T Bell Laboratories
mrg@cblph.att.com

chris@seas.gwu.edu (Chris Goldsmith) (07/12/90)

In article <marshall.647717065@wind55> marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) writes:

>4.01 and SHARE.EXE is loaded in CONFIG.SYS.  I want to be able to run
>Real Mode Windows as a window under Enhanced Mode.  This works fine on
>my home PC.  It uses Compaq DOS 3.31, so I don't use SHARE.  When I go
>to load Real Mode on my DOS 4 machine, the Windows logo comes up, then I
>get:
>
>Sharing violation reading drive C
>Abort, Retry, Fail
>Is the solution to avoid loading SHARE?
>Do I really need SHARE?

I had the same problem.
First I tried removing SHARE from my config.sys, everything works OK.
I was going to make my win3 files read only and replace SHARE but I
never got around to it, I have been running w/o SHARE ever since.
I think the read only trick will work, but I just don't load share.

Hope it helps
Chris

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (07/13/90)

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:

>The solution to running Windows in real mode under Enhanced mode
>with SHARE active is to make the Windows files Read Only, then you
>can't have a Write-Write conflict and SHARE leaves the files
>accessible.

>- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

Well, I figured it was something like that.  Which files need to be made
read only?  Just WIN.EXE or the configuration files too?  Will I lose
any capability when I do this?

I may just eliminate SHARE.
--

Carra_its-me_Bussa@cup.portal.com (07/22/90)

> I have the same setup with a 122meg drive.  I have had the same experience.
> I did find out that SHARE is the reason you are getting the error.  Both
> Windows are trying to open the same files.  I don't know if you absolutely
> have to have SHARE loaded, but if you don't you get a message at boot time
> that claims that you need SHARE with >32 meg partitions.
> Hope this helps a little.
>
> Mark R. Gibaldi
> AT&T Bell Laboratories
> mrg@cblph.att.com

Apparently, SHARE is there to prevent old (v1.0) programs from opening
files using FCBs.  There is a problem when an FCB nears the 32 Meg
boundary...your FAT table dies.  (At least, that's what I've heard.)

Someone has written a NOSHARE.exe program, 1K in size, that simply denies
all FCB opens.

See the IBM binary group for NOSHARE.UUE, or write to me and I'll ship.

[extracted from the noshare.doc file....]

ask@j.cc.purdue.edu (Scott Ksander) (07/23/90)

In article <31979@cup.portal.com>, Carra_its-me_Bussa@cup.portal.com writes:

> Someone has written a NOSHARE.exe program, 1K in size, that simply denies
> all FCB opens.
>
> See the IBM binary group for NOSHARE.UUE

Can anyone post information about where to find NOSHARE.  I can't seem to
locate it in any of the usual places.

Thanks.