[comp.windows.ms] How are people developing?

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (07/15/90)

I assume most people are using Microsoft C (?).  For people with 6.0 or
any preceding version that had the programmer's workbench (PWB)
integrated environment, are you using it, and if so, are you running it
under windows and if so, are you running windows in the cool-but-slower
386-only mode or in standard mode?

Apparently the PWB help system can read the SDK help files.  Can Windows
read the Microsoft C help files?

The way I feel about it right now, I'm just going to run make and a crummy vi
clone in a DOS shell-in-a-window until I get a windows-based editor I really
like.  Then maybe use file manager to launch the make (?).  I tried it, it
was OK.

There seems to be a lot of overhead in the DOS shell, like keypresses
in the DOS shell window (I've changed the PIF to make it run in a window)
appears to slow down the concurrent downloading or uploading of files from
the terminal program.  Maybe a shell that was written to look like the DOS
shell but that was designed to run under Windows would help.  Clearly, that
would be Microsoft's province...

--
-- uunet!sugar!karl
-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (07/16/90)

In article <6034@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>the terminal program.  Maybe a shell that was written to look like the DOS
>shell but that was designed to run under Windows would help.  Clearly, that
>would be Microsoft's province...

I've written a limited version of a DOS shell in Actor, mianly using the Actor
exec(<A String>) command, so that I can have my cd, ren, del, copy, md, rd,
etc. commands.  One trouble I'm having is how to read a directory of files in
Actor.  Currently, I've creating a windows file-listbox (but not displaying it)
and asking it for the list of filenames to print.  It's a wretched kludge,
and if anyone has any suggestions...
>--
>-- uunet!sugar!karl
>-- Usenet access: (713) 438-5018

Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@portia.stanford.edu
Conserves electrons: uses green text on a black background.
  --failed marketing strategy for MDA adapter

green@ai.toronto.edu (Anthony Thomas Green) (07/16/90)

I've tried using the PWB and it's a pig. I was running it in a full screen
DOS window in 386 mode. If you don't have at least 8 Meg of RAM to put on
a RAM disk, then you'll spend a lot of time waiting for it to boot and swap
itself in and out for shells and makes. NMAKE is a monsterous program, and
my machine would frequently run out of memory whilst in mid-compile (I have
a 4 Meg machine). I began using NMK (the stripped down version of NMAKE) but
quickly went back to trusty old NDMAKE (shareware).

Somebody (Hello Microsoft) should come up with a good Windows programming
editor. I use FREEMACS in a full screen DOS window and am frustrated with
flipping back and forth between screens. Running it in a window is too
slow. Am I the only one... or would other people like a programmable windows
editor? Should we start some sort of distributed application development going?
I think that this sort of thing has worked in the past (NetHack for instance).
Ideas anyone?

Anthony T. Green
green@ai.toronto.edu

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (07/17/90)

green@ai.toronto.edu (Anthony Thomas Green) writes:

>Somebody (Hello Microsoft) should come up with a good Windows programming
>editor. I use FREEMACS in a full screen DOS window and am frustrated with
>flipping back and forth between screens. Running it in a window is too
>slow. Am I the only one... or would other people like a programmable windows
>editor? Should we start some sort of distributed application development going?
>I think that this sort of thing has worked in the past (NetHack for instance).
>Ideas anyone?

I think it is a good idea to start some sort of distributed development
of a programmable windows editor. We should form a small group
talking about possible designs by looking at a few programmable
editors. I would suggest looking at

	SPRINT from Borland,
	LPEX (live parsing editor) from IBM,
	EDOR (mainframe editor) from Siemens/GMD

But if there is any commercial developement under way, I would
prefer to use a commercial editor and concentrate on real
application programs ...

>Anthony T. Green
>green@ai.toronto.edu

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (07/17/90)

In an article strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) wrote:
>I think it is a good idea to start some sort of distributed development
>of a programmable windows editor. We should form a small group
>talking about possible designs by looking at a few programmable
>editors. I would suggest looking at
>
>	SPRINT from Borland,
>	LPEX (live parsing editor) from IBM,
>	EDOR (mainframe editor) from Siemens/GMD

I would like to add POINT, the editor that Logitech used to include
with their mouse.  I is a little buggy, but I use it because of its
excellent mouse handling and speed.  Perhaps the author would be
willing to contribute it to a Windows-overhauling?
It is completely configurable in its use of mouse, menus, and keyboard.
I haven't looked into its macro/programmability.

--
John Dudeck                                 "I always ask them, How well do
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                            you want it tested?"

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul15.195557.16913@portia.Stanford.EDU> gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) writes:
>I've written a limited version of a DOS shell in Actor, mianly using the Actor
>exec(<A String>) command, so that I can have my cd, ren, del, copy, md, rd,
>etc. commands.  One trouble I'm having is how to read a directory of files in
>Actor.  Currently, I've creating a windows file-listbox (but not displaying it)
>and asking it for the list of filenames to print.  It's a wretched kludge,
>and if anyone has any suggestions...

Getting a directory listing is really somewhat simple.  Basically, since we
support interrupt 21 (the DOS interrupt) you can use this to get a directory
listing.  As a matter of fact, on our BBS I think you'll find a file that will
be very helpful in creating your program.  I know it has the name "dir" in
it someplace, but I don't remember the exact name of the file.  I'll track
it down and post the code to find a directory list.

--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (07/18/90)

The July 1990 BYTE had a review of several programs which will interest
this group.

p. 56: Full-Screen Text Editor for Window 3.0
  "...compile & test without leaving SpeedEdit,..undo, redo, DDE, keyboard
macros, search & mod of several files as if they were one file, etc
"
  SpeedEdit, by Bradford Business Systems Inc, $295
  25301 Cabot Rd., Suite 201, Laguna Hills, CA 92653 (714) 859-4428

Perhaps someone who can afford $295 a little easier than I can post a
review on whether it's worth it.  I have no connection to anyone, I just
saw this message thread several times now looking for an editor.

Also in the mag was a program called Bridge by SoftBridge Microsystems.
It's a batch file program for windows, which will "activate the clock [on
boot up; clock is in WIN.INI file under load-p.g.] , resizes it, and
moves itto the lower right-hand corner of my screen"
which is almost exactly what someone asked for in a recent posting.  Again,
no connection to anything.

Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@portia.stanford.edu

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (07/18/90)

Wolfgang Strobl <strobl@gmdzi.UUCP> writes:
> I think it is a good idea to start some sort of distributed development
> of a programmable windows editor. We should form a small group
> talking about possible designs by looking at a few programmable editors.

In terms of programmability, the editor should be able to emulate (at the
minimum) vi, Emacs and WordStar.  Of course emulating 100% of Emacs would
be rather a major project, but being able to map the keyboard so that things
work as expected 90% of the time would probably be sufficient.  Personally,
I'd love a vi that had Windows mouse support, scrollbars, multiple windows
and user-selectable fonts...

Anyway, I'm interested in such a project!  Are there enough people to make
it possible to do distributed development without killing anybody with work?

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul17.133203.1035@chinet.chi.il.us> patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes:
<gone>

>Getting a directory listing is really somewhat simple.  Basically, since we
>support interrupt 21 (the DOS interrupt) you can use this to get a directory
>listing.  As a matter of fact, on our BBS I think you'll find a file that will
>be very helpful in creating your program.  I know it has the name "dir" in
>it someplace, but I don't remember the exact name of the file.  I'll track
>it down and post the code to find a directory list.

I needed a short program to walk the directory structure of my hard disk. I
ended up doing it in Turbo C, because they provided all the dos system
calls in a convenient form (findfirst, findnext, chdir, etc.).  I can do the
same in actor but I have to call dos direct and work the kludge of getting
the right addresses in the right registers (well documented thou). Is there
a source of classes available that has all the dos calls in a directly
useable form?

Actor has a basic appeal (OO, MS windows, event driven) but I have not seen
the explosion of classes and libraries (PD, share, commerical) that would
make the package immediately useful for simple and not so simple
applications.  I can code in Actor as fast as in C++ (and TP 5.5) but don't
have the methods for simple tasks, so I go back to C or Pascal.  I am
not developing windows applications, I am solving problems, but would like
to do it with the elegance of a MS windows application.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/19/90)

In article <7918@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:
>I needed a short program to walk the directory structure of my hard disk. I
>ended up doing it in Turbo C, because they provided all the dos system
>calls in a convenient form (findfirst, findnext, chdir, etc.).  I can do the
>same in actor but I have to call dos direct and work the kludge of getting
>the right addresses in the right registers (well documented thou). Is there
>a source of classes available that has all the dos calls in a directly
>useable form?

If I remember correctly, this class that we have has the change directory,
get directory, etc. calls in it.  Basically it shows you how to do all
the basic DOS functions.

I'll have to track the thing down before I can give a more complete list
of what it does, and there are a couple changes that I'd want to make before
distributing it for use with Actor 3.0.
--

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (07/20/90)

In article <26a2983a.3b4b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>,
jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

> I would like to add POINT, the editor that Logitech used to include
> with their mouse.  I is a little buggy, but I use it because of its
> excellent mouse handling and speed.  Perhaps the author would be
> willing to contribute it to a Windows-overhauling?
> It is completely configurable in its use of mouse, menus, and keyboard.
> I haven't looked into its macro/programmability.
>
> --
> John Dudeck                                 "I always ask them, How well do
> jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                            you want it tested?"
> ESL: 62013975 Tel: 805-545-9549                               -- D. Stearns

I use it too. I think it is better than any vi might be. Besides,
I used to a mouse (MS though, the older went with away with my old
XT), and POINT supports it (unfortunately in a text mode).

Andrzej Bieszczad (Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.)
USENET:  uunet!bnrgate!bigsur!andrzej
BitNet:  andrzej@BNR.CA
Surface: Dept. 7G12, P.O. Box 3511, Station C,    Phone: (613) 763-2259
         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7         Fax:   (613) 763-3283

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (07/21/90)

I spoke to some folks at logitech and They said that there might be plans for
a windows version, but if you want to do it your self, you'll have to PAY an
awful lot of cash... and sign non-disclosure papers, etc.

ciao
jeff

--
Jeff Watkins  gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
"All opinions are mine... so don't even think of keeping some to yourself!"

andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) (07/23/90)

In article <26a2983a.3b4b@petunia.CalPoly.EDU>,
jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

> In an article strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) wrote:
> >I think it is a good idea to start some sort of distributed development
> >of a programmable windows editor. We should form a small group
> >talking about possible designs by looking at a few programmable
> >editors. I would suggest looking at
> >
> >	SPRINT from Borland,
> >	LPEX (live parsing editor) from IBM,
> >	EDOR (mainframe editor) from Siemens/GMD

I have just read in PC WEEK that DOS 5.0 due next fall will ship with
DOS EDITOR. You should wait a little bit to see what is that one
about.

BTW, DOS 5.0 will have a graphical UI which is very "windows-like",
and beta-testers claim it is fast.