[comp.windows.ms] Win3 and Serial vs Bus Mice

jorge@dg.dg.com (Jorge Lach) (07/14/90)

I've got a Leading Edge D3/SX with a 42 Mb HD, Trident-based SVGA card and
4 MB RAM. I also have a Microsoft serial mouse, which until now was
connected to COM2. I was running Windows 2.11 until a week ago, when
I finally received my Win3 upgrade. I was using the Microsoft provided
driver that came with the mouse for mouse use outside of Win286 (using
the switch /c2 for COM2), and Win286 was using (I presume) the mouse.drv
driver that also came with the mouse, rather than the original one in the
Win286 package, as suggested in the mouse user's manual. Sounds more
complicated than it is, and everything was fine and rosy.

Except, that is, when I tried to install Win3. Setup recogined a Microsoft
mouse when it sized up the hardware, but during setup (and later, when I
starte Win3), the cursor appears on the screen, but would not move. Win3
appears to work fine, and it was a good example on how stupid it is to
use a GUI with only a keyboard. So I started calling Microsoft...

Of course, each call started with a 30 minute wait, on a non-toll-free
coast to coast call, so that by now my $50 investment on Win3 is up by
more than $20. Every time I call, a new suggestion was made about what to
strip off my config.sys and/or autoexec. By the third or so call, somebody
suggested that dmdrvr.bin was the culprit: somehow it must be corrupting the
installation. I thought it was strange that ALWAYS the mouse gets corrupted,
of all pieces of the hardware, but... They told me to reformat my HD, which
I did...

That did not fix the problem either. Enter the specifics of the Leading
Edge D3/SX: it has a port in its back labeled "mouse port". Since none of
the adaptors supplied with the mouse (a 9-to-25 pin and a 9-to-6 pin ps/2)
would fit, I just connected the mouse to COM2 and that was it.

As it turns out, that port is for a "bus mouse". The problem seems to be
that when the Win3 mouse drives sees that port, it thinks that is where the
mouse is. Of course, since there is no mouse in there, the cursor does not
move. Microsoft tech support does not know of any way of telling the mouse
driver not to look there (or telling it to look specifically at one of
the COM ports). Right now, I'm ready to put Win3 back in its box and ship
it to Microsoft, and stick to Win286 (at least it's usable).

I still don't understand what exactly is a bus mouse, and why somebody at
Microsoft suggested that I could get an adapter to plug in my serial mouse
into that bus mouse port. (and yes, I know what a bus is and what a serial
port is - I happen to design computers for a living). Does anybody out
there know what the different pinouts for these ports are? Is it possible to
adapt one mouse to the other? Are all mice (as in the actual thing sitting
on my desk) serial, while the "Bus mouse" is just another serial port which
plugs into the AT bus? What is going on here?

Has anybody installed Win3 on a Leading Edge D3/SX? with a serial mouse?
Microsoft? Does anybody know if that mouse port can be disabled in such
a way as to make it invisible to Win3? Humm... I've also been trying
Leading Edge, but they seem completely ignorant.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for making a short story long.

jorge@dg.dg.com		Technical Systems Division
Jorge Lach		Data General Corp, Westboro, MA

johnha@microsoft.UUCP (John HAGERSON) (07/21/90)

Microsoft has a standard interface called InPort.  It is usually
implemented as a card that goes into a slot in the machine.  The
so-called "bus mouse" connects to this interface.

The serial mouse connects directly to the serial port and draws
its power there.  The major difference between these mice is that
the logic is on the board for the bus mouse and its case is almost
empty.  The serial mouse is jammed with electronics that control
its function.

As to the problem of getting Windows to recognize your mouse
on COM2, you might try going into Windows Setup and changing
to the MouseSystems driver for COM2.  I can't guarantee that this
will work, but you might try it.  It sounds like a situation
that the Setup people didn't anticipate.

John Hagerson

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Microsoft and it doesn't speak for me.

pgd@bbt.se (P.Garbha) (07/24/90)

In article <639@dg.dg.com> jorge@dg.dg.com (Jorge Lach) writes:

>As it turns out, that port is for a "bus mouse". The problem seems to be
>that when the Win3 mouse drives sees that port, it thinks that is where the
>mouse is. Of course, since there is no mouse in there, the cursor does not
>move. Microsoft tech support does not know of any way of telling the mouse
>driver not to look there (or telling it to look specifically at one of
>the COM ports). Right now, I'm ready to put Win3 back in its box and ship
>it to Microsoft, and stick to Win286 (at least it's usable).

We have a screen card with a microsoft bus-mouse-port on, but no mouse
that fits the port.  On win286 we had exactly the problem you are
speaking about. Our solution was to use a non-microsoft serial mouse.
(Are microsoft trying to decrease their own sales of mice, or what?)