[comp.windows.ms] Icons for non Windows Application

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (07/21/90)

I understand how to define an icon for a non-Windows application
under the program manager with the properties option, but how
do you set the icon for a running application, i.e. the icon used
when you iconisize an application that has been running (I don't
mean doing this dynamically)?

					Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +
+ If nothing else works                              woan@soda.berkeley.edu +

david@jdyx.UUCP (David Mandell) (07/22/90)

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) writes:

>I understand how to define an icon for a non-Windows application
>under the program manager with the properties option, but how
>do you set the icon for a running application, i.e. the icon used
>when you iconisize an application that has been running (I don't
>mean doing this dynamically)?

You DON'T.  You can change the ICON that is displayed by the
Program Manager without any problems.  But, the ICON that is used when
you minimize a DOS application is controlled by Windows itself.

If you could find where that DOS icon lives you could probably change it,
but you would still only get one icon for any minimized DOS app.

--
David G. Mandell           david@jdyx.UUCP       david@jdyx.atlanta.ga.us
PLANNET CRAFTERS           gatech!emory!jdyx!david

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/24/90)

In article <1605@peyote.cactus.org> woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
}I understand how to define an icon for a non-Windows application
}under the program manager with the properties option, but how
}do you set the icon for a running application, i.e. the icon used
}when you iconisize an application that has been running (I don't
}mean doing this dynamically)?

The icon for a running application is set when the main window is registered.
In order to set this, as a programmer, you must put the handle to that icon
in the proper field of the window registration structure.  In order to do this
dynamically you might be able to run a windows program that will search for
your window (e.g. by the caption text) and use the SetWindowWord function to
reset the icon handle.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us