[comp.windows.ms] 3.0 SDK problems

I just got my 3.0 SDK upgrade yesterday, and these are the major problems
I found:

1. The INSTALL program fails when requested to copy the sample files.  When
I select that option, the program crashes while copying the bitmap/select.h
file.  The floppy light stays on; nothing gets copied and I have to reboot.
I had to copy the samples one by one. UGLY!

2. The INSTALL program does not create the proper libraries.  I asked the
program to create only the MEDIUM library with the MATH Emulator option.
In that case the MLIBCW.LIB was created, but no MLIBCEW.LIB appeared.

Only when I asked to create libraries for BOTH the emulation AND alternate
libraries, then both MLIBCEW.LIB and MLIBCAW.LIB were generated.

3.  The major problem is with the 5.10 linker.  It just plain doesn't
work.  It doesn't seem to be able to pick up ANY of the Windows library
symbols and tells me that all the ones I use (174) are undefined, and
then aborts.

I tried to use LINK4, and that one works just fine.  The linker that came
with Microsoft C 5.10 comes up and says "Overlay Linker V. 3.65".

Note that I made all the appropriate changes to the .INF file (add the EXETYPE
directive), and use the "recommended" compiler line:

CL -c -AM -Gsw -Os -Zpe fname.c

Has anybody gotten the 5.10 Linker to work with the 3.0 SDK?

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) (07/23/90)

In article <26093@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>I just got my 3.0 SDK upgrade yesterday, and these are the major problems
>I found:

>3.  The major problem is with the 5.10 linker.  It just plain doesn't
>work.  It doesn't seem to be able to pick up ANY of the Windows library
>symbols and tells me that all the ones I use (174) are undefined, and
>then aborts.
>
>I tried to use LINK4, and that one works just fine.  The linker that came
>with Microsoft C 5.10 comes up and says "Overlay Linker V. 3.65".

There are two linkers supplied with both Microsoft C 5.1 and 6.0.  You need
the segment executable linker for use with the SDK.  Check the distribution
disks and you will find two linkers.  One is DOS only, the other (the one
you want) is a bound version that operates in DOS and OS/2.

Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (07/24/90)

In article <26093@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>3.  The major problem is with the 5.10 linker.  It just plain doesn't
>work.  It doesn't seem to be able to pick up ANY of the Windows library
>symbols and tells me that all the ones I use (174) are undefined, and
>then aborts.

>Note that I made all the appropriate changes to the .INF file (add the EXETYPE
>directive), and use the "recommended" compiler line:

>CL -c -AM -Gsw -Os -Zpe fname.c

>Has anybody gotten the 5.10 Linker to work with the 3.0 SDK?

>-- Marco

Hey, look at your C 5.10 distribution disks. You should find there two
copies of LINK.EXE. One is the OLDOLDOLDOLD 3.65 DOS-only linker which
cannot be used to create segmented-executables. The other one is 5.0.17
(or so) and can be used (I do this every day ...)

LINK4 is just another copy of this new linker. It says
"Segmented Executable Linker" in the COpyright message.

Kai Uwe Rommel
--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/24/90)

In article <3543@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>
rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:

>Hey, look at your C 5.10 distribution disks. You should find there two
>copies of LINK.EXE. One is the OLDOLDOLDOLD 3.65 DOS-only linker which
>cannot be used to create segmented-executables. The other one is
>5.0.17 (or so) and can be used (I do this every day ...)

You are ABSOLUTLY correct.  It took about three days on the phone with
the sdk support people, but this was resolved.  When you install MSC
5.1 it doesn't put the sdk compatible linker on your hard drive.  The
linker that is compatible is on disk 5 (Utilities 1, I think).  After
copying that file over, everything worked smoothly.  The MS people
said the linker should be version 5.01.21 or later for the windows 3.0
sdk.

David

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

jshekhel@feds19.prime.com (Jerry Shekhel ) (07/24/90)

In article <26093@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>3.  The major problem is with the 5.10 linker.  It just plain doesn't
>work.  It doesn't seem to be able to pick up ANY of the Windows library
>symbols and tells me that all the ones I use (174) are undefined, and
>then aborts.
>
>Has anybody gotten the 5.10 Linker to work with the 3.0 SDK?

Well, believe it or not, there are 2 different linkers on the C 5.1
distribution diskettes.  The installation program copies the Version 3.xx
linker you mentioned.  However, if you look around, you'll find a
Version 5.0x linker on one of the Utilities diskettes.  It comes up
as "Microsoft Segmented-Executable Linker, Version 5.0x", or something
like that.  This one works great with Windows.

>-- Marco

-- Jerry