[comp.windows.ms] Problems with Daybook + fix

tgp@sei.cmu.edu (Tod Pike) (07/12/90)

  I recently got my Windows 3.0 upgrade, and had a problem installing the
Daybook software that I'd like to pass along to the net, in case someone else
runs into it.

  The very verbose (sarcasm alert!) instructions that come with Daybook tell
you to get into windows 3.0 and run the setup program from the floppy.  When I
did this, the floppy could not be read.  Even outside of windows, trying to
access the floppy failed (with INT 24 failure).  Floppy 2 of the set was fine.

  Well, after going through the windows 800 number, being referred to the
windows technical support non-800 number, and spending minutes working my way
through the automated support system, I got an answer:  It turns out that
quite a few people have run into this.  Apparently there is an interaction
with the DOS 4.0X "share" program which prevents the floppy from being read.
MicroSoft recommends the following actions:

	1) rename "share.exe" to "share.bak"
	2) edit your autoexec.bat to remove all "add"'s, "ren"'s and other
	 funny disk things.  (They specified exactly what things to remove,
	 but I didn't use any of the others, so I didn't write them down).
	3) reboot
	4) follow the install instructions
	5) put everything back the way they were before
	6) reboot and you're finished

  After I followed the instructions, I still got a disk error on the label
read, but after responding "fail" to the error from the DOS level, it read
the disk OK, and the windows install worked fine.  Note that the Daybook
install program modifies autoexec.bat, so you'll have to modify the save
copy by hand rather than just rename it back.

  Now, I'm curious....what did Asymetrix do to this disk to cause the problem?
Some kind of bizzare copy-protection scheme?  Anyone from MicroSoft (or
Asymetrix) out there got the official story?

			Tod Pike

--
Internet: tgp@sei.cmu.edu
Mail:     Carnegie Mellon University

hjp@usenet.umr.edu (Hardy Pottinger) (07/18/90)

In article <7842@fy.sei.cmu.edu> tgp@sei.cmu.edu (Tod Pike) writes:

>  I recently got my Windows 3.0 upgrade, and had a problem installing the
>Daybook software that I'd like to pass along to the net, in case someone else
>runs into it.

I had no problems installing on both a 386 and a 286 machine.  The 286
was even a ps2/50 with an external sysgen drive which needs a separate
driver.  These are both 5.25" 1.2M diskettes.  The stuff runs horribly
slow though, even on the 386 which is barely tolerable.  Definitely
not a practical calendar program.  I hope someone has better luck with
their toolset.  I was not impressed with the demo.

--
Hardy J. Pottinger
Department of Electrical Engineering,  University of MO - Rolla

jta@locus.com (JT Anderson) (07/19/90)

I know of two solutions to the Daybook install problem.  One is to remove
SHARE.EXE as has been previously mentioned.  The other is to copy both
Daybook disks (3.5 inch.  I don't know if there are two 5.25 inch disks.)
to a temporary directory on your hard disk and run the installation from
there.

SHARE.EXE has caused me so many problems that I have permanently done
away with it.  I don't think I use any programs that use FCBs.  (What's
the symbol for crossed fingers?)

The question is, after starting Daybook, making coffee, reading the
newspaper...  Has anybody out there used Toolbook?  Do you have to
put up with those interminable startup displays?  Can you create applications
that run reasonably quickly?

Given the installation problems and the initial performance impression
that Daybook makes, I think Asymetrix has done a poor job of introducing
their product.

alcmist@well.sf.ca.us (Frederick Wamsley) (07/26/90)

In article <7842@fy.sei.cmu.edu> tgp@sei.cmu.edu (Tod Pike) writes:
<explanation of how a disk seemed to be unreadable but worked fine after
removing SHARE.EXE from AUTOEXEC.BAT>

>  Now, I'm curious....what did Asymetrix do to this disk to cause the problem?
>Some kind of bizzare copy-protection scheme?  Anyone from MicroSoft (or
>Asymetrix) out there got the official story?

Nothing Asymetrix has sent out has been copy-protected.  Last I heard,
the diagnosis was some obscure conflict between SHARE and SETUP.

Thanks for posting the problem and solution.  You probably helped a lot
of people.

Claimer: I am an employee of Asymetrix.
--
Fred Wamsley  {ucbvax,pacbell,apple,hplabs}!well!alcmist;
CIS 72247,3130; GEnie FKWAMSLEY; USPS - why bother?