[comp.windows.ms] C++ and Windows

rpk@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Robert Krajewski) (07/29/90)

What are the experiences of Windows programmers using C++ with regard
to the actual tools ?  I'm not so much inteesting in the merits or
pitfalls of various class libraries as the ease of use of the tools.

For example, if you're *really* using C++, chances are that C++ compiler
will run out of data space (under DOS), unless it has a DOS extender
version.  But can you run it in a Windows Enhanced Mode DOS Window ?
If you can't, it's not the end of the world, but it does certainly
trip up the compile/link/edit cycle.

I certainly think I can do better than Glockenspiel C+ 2.0.
Am I right ?

db@tc.fluke.COM (Dan Banay) (07/30/90)

In article <9609@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu>, rpk@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Robert Krajewski) writes:
> What are the experiences of Windows programmers using C++ with regard
> to the actual tools ?  I'm not so much inteesting in the merits or
> pitfalls of various class libraries as the ease of use of the tools.

Robert,  I recently posted a review of Zortech C++ and C++/Views in
comp.windows.ms which  talks about some of these merits and pitfalls.
I've found that browsers *do* make a diffence, and that a good set of
Windows classes will make things much easier.

> For example, if you're *really* using C++, chances are that C++ compiler
> will run out of data space (under DOS), unless it has a DOS extender

Before I can answer that, you will need to define what you mean by
*really* using C++.  I don't think the overhead of using C++ over C is
as bad as most people seem to think.

> version.  But can you run it in a Windows Enhanced Mode DOS Window ?

Yes.   I  would think that most PC compilers/assemblers could be run
from a DOS Window.   Are there any compilers which won't?

> If you can't, it's not the end of the world, but it does certainly
> trip up the compile/link/edit cycle.
>
> I certainly think I can do better than Glockenspiel C+ 2.0.
> Am I right ?

IMHO, yes!

Dan

| Dan Banay       							 |
| db@tc.fluke.COM   {microsoft,sun,uw-beaver}!fluke!db  +1 206 356 6285  |
| John Fluke Mfg. Co., MS 223B, PO Box 9090, Everett, WA 98206-9090 USA  |

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (07/31/90)

In article <9609@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu> rpk@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Robert Krajewski) writes:
<For example, if you're *really* using C++, chances are that C++ compiler
<will run out of data space (under DOS), unless it has a DOS extender
<version.  But can you run it in a Windows Enhanced Mode DOS Window ?

The DOS Extender version of ZTC++ works fine under Windows 3.

<I certainly think I can do better than Glockenspiel C+ 2.0.
<Am I right ?

Yes :-)