[comp.windows.ms] Wanted: List of known Errors in Windows 3.0

tremmel@ira.uka.de (Wolfgang Tremmel) (07/26/90)

Hi!
Has somone (perhaps @microsoft.uucp) a list of known errors in
Windows 3.0?
If yes: Post it!
If no:  We should collect all errors (like the FileManager - Error) and
	make such a list.

Wolfgang Tremmel, tremmel@ira.uka.de

bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce KING) (07/31/90)

  Other than the information available on microsoft online or one of the
official channels (microsoft forum on compuserv, etc) microsoft doesn't
do support via email.  My perusal of the windows forum here is because I've
got an interest in the product, not because it's my job.
  In other words, if you're looking for a formal statement from microsoft
in this forum, it's the wrong place to look.
  With that said, the only bug that I know about on the user level of windows
is the one that causes your mouse to go away when you start windows twice.
  e.g. start windows, start a dos command prompt task, start windows from
that dos command prompt.  Your cursor is fine, and everything works great.
  Exit that copy of windows, exit the dos command prompt task (returning
you to the first copy of windows you started) and lo and behold -- your
mouse cursor is gone.  Keyboard commands still work, system runs great,
but no mouse until you exit and re-enter.
  bruceki@microsoft

ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) (07/31/90)

In article <56172@microsoft.UUCP> bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce KING) writes:

>  With that said, the only bug that I know about on the user level of windows
>is the one that causes your mouse to go away when you start windows twice.
>  e.g. start windows, start a dos command prompt task, start windows from
>that dos command prompt.  Your cursor is fine, and everything works great.
>  Exit that copy of windows, exit the dos command prompt task (returning
>you to the first copy of windows you started) and lo and behold -- your
>mouse cursor is gone.  Keyboard commands still work, system runs great,
>but no mouse until you exit and re-enter.
>  bruceki@microsoft

I have recently had problems with losing my mouse when I leave Win 3 after
a days usage, and enter PC Tools PC Backup to backup my system.  The mouse
cursor appears upon startup, but does not move with the mouse.  The keyboard
commands still work fine, and I am able to do my backups, but without benefit
of the (Logitech) mouse.

If I go back into Windows after my backups, the mouse cursor reappears, and
the mouse starts functioning again, even if I did not perform an intervening
boot to reload the mouse driver.

I have oftened wondered about the feasibility of bringing up Windows under
Windows, but haven't tried it, personally.  I doubt that MS would consider
it to be a supported environment.

Al Shing

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (07/31/90)

In article <56172@microsoft.UUCP> bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce KING) writes:
>  With that said, the only bug that I know about on the user level of windows
>is the one that causes your mouse to go away when you start windows twice.
>  e.g. start windows, start a dos command prompt task, start windows from
>that dos command prompt.  Your cursor is fine, and everything works great.
>  Exit that copy of windows, exit the dos command prompt task (returning
>you to the first copy of windows you started) and lo and behold -- your
>mouse cursor is gone.  Keyboard commands still work, system runs great,
>but no mouse until you exit and re-enter.

Hm.... Well, I've been running a real mode copy of windows inside my
386 enhanced mode. I've made a .pif which sets it up to run in full
screen, give it lots of EMS, and it works like a charm.... except that
it crashes occaisonally. WHen it does that, I ALT-TAB back to the
first version and terminate it. Ugly, but it lets me run some win 2 specific
applications.

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET