[comp.windows.ms] Hardware for CodeView

reyn@trsvax.UUCP (07/25/90)

While browsing through the "Whats' New for Windows Version 3.0?" chapter of
the Windows 3.0 Installation and Update Guide, I came across the following
gem ...
	"CVW (CodeView for Windows) now requires a secondary monochrome
	 monitor with a 25-line display; you can no longer run it on a
	 serial terminal."

I don't have my SDK yet, the above was gleaned from a Beta version
belonging to my employer, so I don't have the documentation for CVW
available.

Is this secondary monitor really REQUIRED, or can you have CodeView screen
swap as the DOS version can?

					       John Reynolds

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (07/30/90)

In article <292600021@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>	"CVW (CodeView for Windows) now requires a secondary monochrome
>	 monitor with a 25-line display; you can no longer run it on a
>	 serial terminal."

>Is this secondary monitor really REQUIRED, or can you have CodeView screen
>swap as the DOS version can?

It is even required in the 2.x version for serious work, the serial
terminal isn't very funny.

After trying it, you will NEVER again want to miss it, even for ordinary
DOS program debugging.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (07/30/90)

In article <292600021@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:

>"CVW (CodeView for Windows) now requires a secondary monochrome
>monitor with a 25-line display; you can no longer run it on a serial
>terminal."

>Is this secondary monitor really REQUIRED, or can you have CodeView
>screen swap as the DOS version can?

Yes, it is necessary.  I bit the bullet and got a mono card and
monitor.  When you fire up CVW, the codeview output is directed to the
mono monitor, while the "normal" windows display remains on your color
card.  This lets you step trace through your code while watching what
happens to your windows program (i.e. the actual output).

One note: I have a Gateway 2000 386 with an ATI wondercard.  I had to
call the tech support line to get the system properly configured (3rd
call/tech knew how to handle this problem).  The second card (herc
compatible) REQUIRES an 8 bit slot.  But, you also have to move the
ATI card to an 8 bit slot as well and use the VSETUP program (modifies
the ATI eprom settings) to install the VGA card as an EGA card (yes,
you loose your vga capability with the ATI card).

This was an unacceptable option for me so I'm going to use my compaq
portable (the original) for the dual monitor setup.  I upgraded the
compaq to ega several years ago so getting a dual monitor setup going
on it won't be a setback.  I'm trying to figure out a way to install
windows on my compaq portable with its 360K disk drives.  I know that
this will be sloooow, but I'll only use this hardware when I want to
debug.  I tried installing windows on a 286 and then zipping the
installed files, porting the files to the compaq and unzipping, but
windows doesn't work.....  I may have to get 360k disks from MS.

Anyway, I mentioned this dual monitor video setup because even if you
don't have the Gateway/ATI hardware, you may run into a similar
problem with the hardware that you do have.

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (07/31/90)

In article <292600021@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>Is this secondary monitor really REQUIRED, or can you have CodeView screen
>swap as the DOS version can?

It's required.  CodeView for Windows was never (that I recall over several
years, at least) able to screen swap -- it always wanted either the second
screen or a terminal on the AUX port.  The serial port option is now history,
apparently.  Those with PS/2's and a few bucks (!) can use an 8514A plus VGA
to do the same thing.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (07/31/90)

In article <292600021@trsvax> reyn@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>Is this secondary monitor really REQUIRED, or can you have CodeView screen
>swap as the DOS version can?

It's definatly necessary if you want to run CodeView.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us