[comp.windows.ms] Mouse Problems

carlc@mars.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Carl Christofferson) (07/31/90)

In article <5715@milton.u.washington.edu> ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) writes:
>I have recently had problems with losing my mouse when I leave Win 3 after
>a days usage, and enter PC Tools PC Backup to backup my system.  The mouse
>cursor appears upon startup, but does not move with the mouse.  The keyboard
>commands still work fine, and I am able to do my backups, but without benefit
>of the (Logitech) mouse.

I have experienced the same problem with my home system (ATI VGAWonder bus
mouse) when I exit Windows 3.0 and start up the Norton Commander or
Cakewalk (MIDI sequencing software).  The mouse cursor shows up, but does
not move with the mouse or respond to clicks.  I have found, though, that
reloading the mouse driver before going into Cakewalk will *usually* make
the mouse work in Cakewalk (not sure about NC).  I just type mouse at the
DOS prompt (mouse.com is in my path).  I think it has something to do with
the Microsoft supplied mouse driver for Windows 3.0.  Hope this helps!

Carl Christofferson
carlc@mars.SanDiego.NCR.COM
disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed are entirely my own ...