[comp.windows.ms] Converting GIF to BMP problems

ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Erez "HWank1" Zadok) (07/15/90)

The only way I found to convert GIF files to BMPs is by first using one of
the many converters from GIF to PCX and then to read the PCX file from
pbrush and save it as BMP.  But I have a few problems.

(1) Isn't there a utility that would do the conversion directly?

(2) When I finally get to use the BMP file as my background for windows, it
only fills a small portion of my screen.  Some of the GIF->PCX utilities
have a way to stretch the picture and display it to exactly fill the screen
(of course sarificing resolution.)  Is there a way to take a single GIF/BMP
file and make it fill the whole of my windows background?

Erez.
A wank's morning starts	one machine   | Arpa:	ezk@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
clock cycle after midnight.	      | Usenet: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixf!ezk
 -HebrewWank #1 (US meaning, not UK!) | Bitnet:	ezk@cunixf, erzus@cuvmb

Al_K_Shing@cup.portal.com (07/21/90)

>The only way I found to convert GIF files to BMPs is by first using one of
>the many converters from GIF to PCX and then to read the PCX file from
>pbrush and save it as BMP.  But I have a few problems.
>
>(1) Isn't there a utility that would do the conversion directly?

I found one called GIF2BMP.ZIP that does the conversion directly.  I think it
was on the Pacific NW IBM PC Users Group BBS (206) 340-1636.

     Al Shing

Al_K_Shing@cup.portal.com (07/24/90)

>I found one called GIF2BMP.ZIP that does the conversion directly.  I think it
>was on the Pacific NW IBM PC Users Group BBS (206) 340-1636.
>
>     Al Shing

For those interested in this program, I have placed it in the anonymous ftp
area on milton.u.washington.edu, in subdirectory

   public/download/msdos/submissions

It can be ftp'd from there.

   Al Shing

skh00983@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Holzgraefe) (07/24/90)

In article <32022@cup.portal.com> Al_K_Shing@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I found one called GIF2BMP.ZIP that does the conversion directly.  I think it
>>was on the Pacific NW IBM PC Users Group BBS (206) 340-1636.
>>
>>     Al Shing
>
>For those interested in this program, I have placed it in the anonymous ftp
>area on milton.u.washington.edu, in subdirectory
>
>   public/download/msdos/submissions
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
I found the file found in the .../win3 directory.

>It can be ftp'd from there.
>
>   Al Shing

Steve Holzgraefe ===> s-holzgraefe@uiuc.edu

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (07/26/90)

My local lookup tables don't beliebe in the existence of
milton.u.washington.edu.  Does anybody out there have a numerical
address?

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (07/27/90)

Thanks for all the replies!

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (07/31/90)

>>> My local lookup tables don't beliebe in the existence of
>>> milton.u.washington.edu.  Does anybody out there have a numerical
>>> address?

Try:    128.95.136.1