[comp.windows.ms] Laplink III and Windows

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) (08/01/90)

I have a loptop with no hard drive and a 386 with a hard drive.  I
would like to connect the laptop to the pc via Laplink III, which
is supposed to share peripherals.  I talked to the people at
Traveling Software (the makers of Laplink III) to find out if it
allows the laptop to run one program from the pc's hard disk while
the pc runs another.  According to them, it cannot.  Both machines
are tied up with Laplink III.

However, I asked them if you could run Laplink III in a DOS window
of MS Windows 3.0 on a 386, thus allowing the laptop to access the
hard disk thru that window, without tying up the 386.  They said
that they had not done it, Microsoft had not done it, but Microsoft
claimed that it COULD be done.

Anyone know for sure?

BTW, Traveling Software said that their package DESKLINK was created
for this purpose, however, Desklink ONLY runs on a serial line, thus
~115K, whereas Laplink III can run on serial OR parallel, at something
like 565K on the parallel line.  This is why I would like to try to
use Laplink III.  Also, I have release 2 and could get an upgrade,
whereas I don't currently own Desklink.

		Thanks,
		Matthew

Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman@digi.UUCP
                                OR  mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (08/01/90)

Matthew Frohman <mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org> writes:
> However, I asked them if you could run Laplink III in a DOS window
> of MS Windows 3.0 on a 386, thus allowing the laptop to access the
> hard disk thru that window, without tying up the 386.  They said
> that they had not done it, Microsoft had not done it, but Microsoft
> claimed that it COULD be done.
> Anyone know for sure?

Yes, it works --- I just tested it.  You'll need to create a .PIF file
for it, though, to tell it that it's OK to run in the background.  I only
tried the parallel turbo mode since that's the only one I ever use...

Kudos to Laplink and Microsoft!

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]