[comp.windows.ms] ^ALT-DEL reboots at DOS prompt under Windows

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (08/02/90)

I am quite apalled that Windows is unable to trap the ctl-alt-del in a
Dos-prompt shell opened from Win3. That causes me to loose every other
open window within Windows. What is one expected to do if an
application run in the DOS prompt shell were to hang? I think this a very
serious omission.

I use desqview 2.25 and it just kills the shell if you hit ctl-alt-del
which is exactly what is expected.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug1.175914.11746@amd.com> indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>I am quite apalled that Windows is unable to trap the ctl-alt-del in a
>Dos-prompt shell opened from Win3. That causes me to loose every other
>open window within Windows. What is one expected to do if an
>application run in the DOS prompt shell were to hang? I think this a very
>serious omission.

Well, what I end up doing is hitting Alt-Esc to get back to Windows, and then
I click on the DOS icon, and terminate the application.

Admittedly, sometimes a DOS application will hang so badly that Alt--Esc
won't save you.  But then again, if that happens, CADel is unlikely to
help either.

-----

Has anyone out there got a working copy of SPACE.SPX yet?
(the ScreenPeace saver file)

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert D Goodearl) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug1.175914.11746@amd.com> indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>I am quite apalled that Windows is unable to trap the ctl-alt-del in a
>Dos-prompt shell opened from Win3.
> What is one expected to do if an
>application run in the DOS prompt shell were to hang?

I'm not sure what you can do if you are running in standard or real mode,
but if you are running in real or extended mode, Alt-Spacebar will bring
down the system menu.  Then select "t" for settings and Alt-T for Terminate.
A bit tedious, and it is recommended that you reboot after using this option.
This is documented on page 478 of my windows manual.

flames to /dev/null

Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

pajerek@usenet@kadsma (Don Pajerek) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug1.175914.11746@amd.com> indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>I am quite apalled that Windows is unable to trap the ctl-alt-del in a
>Dos-prompt shell opened from Win3. That causes me to loose every other
>open window within Windows. What is one expected to do if an
>application run in the DOS prompt shell were to hang? I think this a very
>serious omission.
>--
>iNDRA | indra@amd.com (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

If you are running a DOS application in a window, there is an option
on the 'system' menu ('Settings') that allows you to terminate an
application externally. Note that this may be available in 386 mode
only (but who'd want to run Windows any other way?).

Don Pajerek

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (08/02/90)

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:

>I am quite apalled that Windows is unable to trap the ctl-alt-del in a
>Dos-prompt shell opened from Win3. That causes me to loose every other
>open window within Windows. What is one expected to do if an
>application run in the DOS prompt shell were to hang? I think this a very
>serious omission.

>I use desqview 2.25 and it just kills the shell if you hit ctl-alt-del
>which is exactly what is expected.

Yes, [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Delete] does a complete system warm boot, just as
it would if you were running plain old DOS.  To terminate a program
gone wild, you need to access the control panel (press [Alt]+
[Spacebar], I believe) and select the "Terminate" option.  Terminate
is (very briefly) discussed on page 476 of the MS-Windows 3.0 User's
Guide.

Although not as convenient as DesqViews method, it should do the same thing.

altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (08/02/90)

RTFM, if a DOS app hangs - use the terminate button.

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/02/90)

In article <Aug.1.17.48.27.1990.28592@dorm.rutgers.edu> medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>To terminate a program
>gone wild, you need to access the control panel (press [Alt]+
>[Spacebar], I believe) and select the "Terminate" option.

Um, you might want to mention that the Terminate option can be found in the
dialog box that is brought up with the "Settings" menu choice.
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug2.060616.16176@sbcs.sunysb.edu> altman@sbpmt.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) writes:
>RTFM, if a DOS app hangs - use the terminate button.

As I understood the original posting, it was to question the design
of this feature.  (Thus, "RTFM" would not seem appropriate.)  I, too,
feel the Desqview approach is better, but someone up north there
must have had reasons for wanting it as is.  Maybe some sort of
TSR hack can be developed to alter this behavior if Win3 is loaded.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213)538-7108