[comp.windows.ms] Windows-related software upgrades

riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) (08/04/90)

Here are some tidbits I've learned in the past few days regarding Microsoft
upgrades.  Based on tips from Usenet (thanks, guys), I stopped waiting for
my update notices for Excel and the Windows SDK.  Instead, I called the
Windows hotline at (800)323-3577.

The first time I called I used some other Microsoft phone number and got
a bit of a runaround.   The fellow told me he'd mail me an upgrade letter
for the SDK.  I waited two weeks, received nothing, and this time called the
Windows hotline.  (I heartily recommend the hotline; in several calls so
far, I've always gotten an immediate answer from a live person.)  I was able to order
the SDK upgrade over the phone with a VISA card.  The upgrade arrived
2-3 days later--pretty good for having to cross 3 time zones.  The only
funky part of the upgrade is that the first time I called, I was told I'd have
to provide my serial number, which I didn't have handy at the time.  But
next time I called (after rooting around in my cluttered spare bedroom),
I wasn't asked for the number.

Today I called to upgrade Excel and found that the upgrade to the latest
version is free (no shipping and handling fee as I had once heard).  The
latest version is 2.1d, which must be very recent.  Evidently 2.1c was the
most recent as of a few days ago, according to recent postings.

Incidentally, the Microsoft C compiler cannot be upgraded over the phone.
Despite the inconsistencies, I must say that Microsoft handles software
upgrades better than most companies.

Mark Riordan   Michigan State University    riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Aug3.171818.597@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> riordanmr@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Mark Riordan) writes:
[...]
>Despite the inconsistencies, I must say that Microsoft handles software
>upgrades better than most companies.

 On the "Dark Side", ZSoft Corporation has been a real pain-in-the-butt.

 For example:

   I first purchased SoftType for Windows for AMI Professional, which was
   specifically listed as "compatible" in the advertising and box cover.

   I immediately found out the SoftType could not justify its fonts.
   Contacted ZSoft and they said, "Yea we know it doesn't work and we
   don't know why. Send up some samples. Maybe it will get fixed in
   the next upgrade."

   They implied they would send the upgrade free to all registered
   owners.  Turns out you have to send them your #1 disk.  So I send
   in the disk (after finding out that the problem has supposidly been
   fixed).  Several weeks later, no disk.  Call the tech up and it's
   "I just sent them -- you should get them in a few days."  Week later,
   no disk.  Tech doesn't return call.  All I have is a $199 book end.

   The fly in the ointment:  They only have your license number on the
   registration card (which I sent in) and the #1 disk (which I sent
   in for upgrade).  Imagine the following real conversation."

   Hosed:
     Tech Support: "What's you license number?"
     Me: "Forgot to write it down.  And you have got my disk and my
        registration -- the only things that had the number on it.
        My upgrade appears to have been lost."
     Tech Support: "I can't help you with out a number."
     ME: "Could I talk to <Joe Blow> who helped me before?"
     Tech Support: "I'll have to tranfer you to the receptionist."
     <Transfer the phone, but the same guy answers it>
     Goto Hosed:

  Major complaints:

     Why advertise a product that doesn't work (the American Way)?
     Why force the customer to return a 50 cent diskette to get an update?
     Why only have the license number on the first of X disks?

  ZSoft sucks.