[comp.windows.ms] Problem running Windows 3.0 in enhanced mode

klee@cs.ubc.ca (Kenneth Lee) (08/05/90)

Well, I've just tried to run Windows 3.0 on my 386 clone.  I installed
Windows using all of the default selections except the Windows directory
is D:\WINDOWS.  Windows runs fine when I run it in real or standard
mode, but when I attempt to run it in extended mode (or I let it decide
for itself), my screen goes blank after the initial logo is displayed.

My system is a 20 MHz 386 clone with AMI BIOS, 4 MB RAM, DTC 7280 disk
controller, Miniscribe 3085 hard disk, and an ATI VGA Wonder (Rev. 2)
with 512 K.  I have tried adding the line "emmexclude=c400-c7ff" to
the [386enh] section of my system.ini file and had no success.  I have
also disabled BIOS and VIDEO ROM shadowing also with no success.

Do anyone out in netland there have any ideas or suggestions?

If Windows 3.0 will allow me to switch between Reflex and Word while
performing downloads in the background I plan to discontinue using
DESQview 386 which after upgrading still occasionally corrupts my
disk and on one occasion, deleted itself from my hard disk.

+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+
| Ken Lee				| klee@cs.ubc.ca	|
| Department of Computer Science	| klee@cs.ubc.cdn	|
| University of British Columbia	| uunet!ubc-cs!klee	|
| Vancouver, BC, Canada			| (604) 228-3061	|
+---------------------------------------+-----------------------+

jimb@netcom.UUCP (Jim Brandt) (08/05/90)

klee@cs.ubc.ca (Kenneth Lee) writes:

>Well, I've just tried to run Windows 3.0 on my 386 clone.  I installed
>Windows using all of the default selections except the Windows directory
>is D:\WINDOWS.  Windows runs fine when I run it in real or standard
>mode, but when I attempt to run it in extended mode (or I let it decide
>for itself), my screen goes blank after the initial logo is displayed.

>My system is a 20 MHz 386 clone with AMI BIOS, 4 MB RAM, DTC 7280 disk
>controller, Miniscribe 3085 hard disk, and an ATI VGA Wonder (Rev. 2)
>with 512 K.  I have tried adding the line "emmexclude=c400-c7ff" to
>the [386enh] section of my system.ini file and had no success.  I have
>also disabled BIOS and VIDEO ROM shadowing also with no success.

>Do anyone out in netland there have any ideas or suggestions?

Try the following:

win /r swapfile

Follow the prompts, and create a swap file for enhanced mode.

exit windows and retry your win command in enhanced mode.  Be sure to
"Save Settings" before you exit.

If this does not work, try win /r again, then exiting with save sattings
again. I have found my system did the same thing, but by re-organizing my
desktop, and saving my system options, it resolved the problem.

Jim