[comp.windows.ms] 640K barrier

hepner@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas A. Hepner) (07/26/90)

Is it possible to run programs larger than 640K in Windows 3.0
386 Enhanced mode, or are you still stuck with running small
programs only.  If you can run programs larger than DOS 640 K limits,
can someone please tell me how?

Thanks,

Tom Hepner
hepner@cod.nosc.mil

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (07/27/90)

In <2021@cod.NOSC.MIL> hepner@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas A. Hepner) writes:

>Is it possible to run programs larger than 640K in Windows 3.0
>386 Enhanced mode, or are you still stuck with running small
>programs only.  If you can run programs larger than DOS 640 K limits,
>can someone please tell me how?

Only windows applications larger than 640k will run.  You are still stuck
with a 640k DOS window for DOS applications.

>Thanks,

No Problem!

>Tom Hepner

Guy.

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (08/06/90)

In article <1990Jul27.004745.14935@contact.uucp> guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) writes:
>In <2021@cod.NOSC.MIL> hepner@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas A. Hepner) writes:
>

>>Is it possible to run programs larger than 640K in Windows 3.0
>>386 Enhanced mode, or are you still stuck with running small
>>programs only.  If you can run programs larger than DOS 640 K limits,
>>can someone please tell me how?
>
>Only windows applications larger than 640k will run.  You are still stuck
>with a 640k DOS window for DOS applications.

Actually, if your DOS application wants to use expanded memory and you are
running windows in 386 enhanced mode (not sure about standard mode as I don't
use it.) you can specify so in a PIF file. I believe that you can even give
it extended memory if the app uses the XMS standard. I use DesignCAD under
Windows and it gets an extra 512kb - 1.5 Mb of expanded memory depending on my
resources at the time.

On another point though, running DesignCAD in a resizable window and trying to
get max res. is impossible. I have a VRAM w/512k and if I want to use DC with
high resolution with 16 colors I have to full screen it. It is also unbearably
slow in a Window. Text applications are slower in a window, but not too
terribly (IMO). It really depends on your display subsystem and the machine
your running it on I guess.

Richard.

--
Computer Science Center		Richard Oppenheimer
University of Maryland		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)