[comp.windows.ms] Starting a windows application by program

kerndl@irf.UUCP (Michael Kerndlmaier) (08/06/90)

How to start a Windows application by program?

Using Windows/386 and SDK 2.11 I want to start out of my own
Windows program some other Windows application as an additional task.

Obviously this can be done with Windows.

But I can't find any appropriate function in the SDK Reference Guide.
There should be something like

	RunApplication(...),  ExecTask(...) ...

What's the appropriate function? Which parameters does it take?

Thanks for any help!

Michael Kerndlmaier

M. Kerndlmaier        Email: kerndl@irf.unido.uucp    Tel.: 0231/755-4650
University of Dortmund, Institute of Robotics Research, West Germany

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (08/06/90)

In article <572@irf.UUCP> kerndl@irf.UUCP (Michael Kerndlmaier) writes:
>How to start a Windows application by program?

try a spawn.  It is standard C and I know it works in windows 3.0 with the
2.11 SDK.

>But I can't find any appropriate function in the SDK Reference Guide.
>There should be something like
>
>	RunApplication(...),  ExecTask(...) ...
>
>Michael Kerndlmaier

I don't think that there is a specific function in Windows 2.11 to load and
execute a program.  I am probably wrong; but I have not seen one yet.
I will be getting the 3.0SDK in a day or two so, I'll look then.

ciao
jeff

ps. anyone interested in a login program that "SetCapture"'s and requires the
user to enter an ID and password.  It works great in the "run=" list.  The
passwords are kept with ID, home directory and name in /etc/passwd (hm... I
wonder where that came from?) and passwords are scrambled using a proprietary
encryption (I made it up this morning and have a process in the background,
even as we (I) speak, trying to decrypt it.).

--
Jeff Watkins  gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
"All opinions are mine... so don't even think of keeping some to yourself!"