[comp.windows.ms] Win3 Terminal trashes my keyboard.

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (07/21/90)

When ever I use Terminal, within a few minutes, my keyboard gets crazy
and begins auto-repeating a random character; or, acts as if the control
key was depressed; or, the shift ws depressed; or even the alt key,
there after, all keys I type cause crazy things to happen. Lately, even
after exiting windows the phenomenon continues. Nothing short of a hard
reboot fixes it.

I am using: AST Premium/286, original kbd, Telebit trailblazer plus, 2Mb
RAM, configured 896Kb expanded, OEM-Paradise VGA driving a Sony 1304 in
800x600x256(16?), Microsoft bus mouse.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it Win3 or is my keyboard dying? No
other application does this to me.

Thanks in advance.

--
iNDRA | indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (07/24/90)

In article <1990Jul21.095601.20110@amd.com> I wrote:
>When ever I use Terminal, within a few minutes, my keyboard gets crazy
>and begins auto-repeating a random character; or, acts as if the control
>key was depressed; or, the shift ws depressed; or even the alt key,
>there after, all keys I type cause crazy things to happen.

I got my hands on a different keyboard and the phenomenon did not
recurr. I guess it must be my AST keyboard. Anyone have any ides on what
I should look for to fix? should I just consider myself $100 poorer and
buy a new keyboard?

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com (Indra Singhal) (408) 749-5445

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/07/90)

In article <1990Jul24.054835.336@amd.com> indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:

>I got my hands on a different keyboard and the phenomenon did not
>recurr. I guess it must be my AST keyboard. Anyone have any ides on what
>I should look for to fix? should I just consider myself $100 poorer and
>buy a new keyboard?

I think it is probably something funny about the AST keyboard (as you
said).  I'm in the process of building a 386 machine -- while in the
process, I have the 386 mb sitting in my AST 286 case -- and am using
the 286 keyboard.  The keyboard fails the POST, so I had to disable
that test in the bios.

it seems to work ok other than that though.

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com