[comp.windows.ms] pprboy.zip

sui@cat55.cs.wisc.edu (Sui Choy) (08/04/90)

   Does anyone try the shareware paperboy.exe (randomly select
   wallpaper at window startup) ?
   I ftp it from 129.79.20.22. but fails to run on any mode.
   (the error message is "FAIL TO READ FROM AUX")

   Does anyone able to use it ? If so, what is the trick.
                                Thanks in advanvce.
				- Philip

erlendd@barsoom.nhh.no (Erlend Dyrnes) (08/06/90)

sui@cat55.cs.wisc.edu (Sui Choy) writes:

>   Does anyone try the shareware paperboy.exe (randomly select
>   wallpaper at window startup) ?
>   I ftp it from 129.79.20.22. but fails to run on any mode.
>   (the error message is "FAIL TO READ FROM AUX")

>   Does anyone able to use it ? If so, what is the trick.
>                                Thanks in advanvce.
>				- Philip

I've ftp'ed it from cica.cica.indiana.edu. It works fine on my 386.
I did no special installation. You can either RUN= it or execute it
manually from windows.

erlend
--
Erlend Dyrnes, NHH, Bergen, Norway
erlendd@barsoom.nhh.no

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (08/08/90)

erlendd@barsoom.nhh.no (Erlend Dyrnes) writes:

>sui@cat55.cs.wisc.edu (Sui Choy) writes:

>>   Does anyone try the shareware paperboy.exe (randomly select
>>   wallpaper at window startup) ?
>>   I ftp it from 129.79.20.22. but fails to run on any mode.
>>   (the error message is "FAIL TO READ FROM AUX")

>>   Does anyone able to use it ? If so, what is the trick.
>>                                Thanks in advanvce.
>>				- Philip

>I've ftp'ed it from cica.cica.indiana.edu. It works fine on my 386.
>I did no special installation. You can either RUN= it or execute it
>manually from windows.

>erlend
>--
>Erlend Dyrnes, NHH, Bergen, Norway
>erlendd@barsoom.nhh.no

I think Philip is using the debugging version of Windows, and you
are not. The debugging version of Windows does more checking and
barfs at invalid handles, for example, through the AUX: (i.e. COM1) port.
If nothing is connected there, and the error is not serious,
the above dialog box shows up. Under the normal version of Windows
many invalid calls are simply ignored, so that the program
runs without errors (hopefully!).

Many free programs (including V2.09 of my KLOTZ game, I have to admit)
haven't been checked using the debugging version. I didn't use it
because I didn't like it.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>