[comp.windows.ms] Banyan Dont Know Windows

maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) (08/03/90)

A word of warning for 3.0 users on Banyan networks: I have experienced
LOTS of problems running Windows and Windows Apps under VINES. Typically
when attempting to run 3.0 "c>win" it starts to load, then returns v
to the DOS prompt. After a try or two it loads. Then, when running an
application or just loading one I get an "Application Termination"
message and the whole sucker freezes; sometimes I can warmboot,
sometimes I have to turn the machine off (PS/2s dont have reset
switches). This happens often enough to be ludicrous; unfortunately
Im hooked on Win Apps.
So, Microsoft was out here a few days ago and told us to remove all
TSRs and run NETBIOS. I take out my DOS prompt editor (how I miss that
dude), and load NETBIOS, which makes the fat pig Banyan OS even
grosser. Now the problems only happen about 1/3 the time.
With QEMM version 5.1, which is supposed to be out in a couple of weeks
(according to a Quarterdeck rep on 8/2) we can start loading drivers,
TSRs, etc into high RAM; then DOS 5.0 is going to help (that's what
the Microsoft guy said!)
All in all, BANYAN + Windows is about a good a match as ZsaZsa Gabor and
the American Judicial System.

Mark Aurit
maurit@nrtc.nothrop.com
(213) 331-4069
"the LORD is my God"

rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) (08/07/90)

[ Was this a bitching session or were you actually asking for information? ]

You neglected to mention your system configuration or software version
numbers in your posting, but here's a scenario that works.

DOS 3.3 or 4.01 on a 386 with 2 MB memory, VGA+ and Win3.
From within Win3, we successfully run Banyan 4.0 Mail from
one window and PC/TCP (ftp, rlogin, telnet) etc... from another
window. No problems. The shared Banyan drives show up too.
The PC/TCP version is the one that shares Banyan drivers.

Whereas QEMM was used before with Win/386 v2.1 as a replacement
for HIMEM.SYS, it does not work with Win3 so it has been scrapped.
Instead, applications that need EMS are run from Win3 (as full-screen
apps if necessary). Works fine but with some memory loss that was
expected. People are getting extra memory as it becomes necessary.

Quarterdeck's new QEMM is supposed to work with Win3 and we'll look
at it, but until then, this works fine. We do not load any TSR's
before loading windows. A minor inconvenience, except that the
AUTOEXEC file is written such that it first starts Win3, then falls
out to normal TSR loading and further initialization. So people
who absolutely want to go back to old DOS can do it by exiting Win3.
Also, nobody has complained about popping back into Win3 even after
dropping to DOS. Except that it's understood that not as much memory
would be available if they did that... Maybe people use TSR's more
conservatively than others, but Commando and CED are used for DOS-line
editing. People have been warned about TSR's that change graphics
modes. Most replicate Win3 applications (notepad, alarm clock, etc...)
anyway. The general consensus is that even though some convenience
measures no longer work, the advantages are still many (sort of like
trading in a security blanket for a down comforter (:-)

P.S. Repeat the above scenario approx. 4000 times to get the idea
of the scale here. This is not a fluke.

Hope this helps.

Ramin Firoozye
rp&A Inc.
San Francisco, CA.

dwithers@ncratl.Atlanta.NCR.COM (Dave Witherspoon) (08/08/90)

In article <8696@gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com>, maurit@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Mark Aurit <maurit>) writes:
> A word of warning for 3.0 users on Banyan networks: I have experienced
> LOTS of problems running Windows and Windows Apps under VINES.

We're having very little problems running Windows under varying versions
of DOS here.  The only problem we experienced was the inability to
do network functions from within Windows.  This was quickly repaired
with a TSR that Banyan sent us (TSR2A) which is quite small (800 bytes).

I'd challenge your blame of this situation entirely on Banyan.  Over the
last 5 years I've had excellent luck with their product.  In general,
only a few of the problems we have had have been theirs.  The point is
that with so many variables involved in a network site, I have learned
(the hard way) that it is unfair to report a general problem and cast
the blame on one of those variables.

David.Witherspoon@Atlanta.NCR.COM     |
NCR E&M Atlanta: (404) 623-7713       |         Visualize Whirled Peas
MY OPINIONS...ALL MINE!!!             |