[comp.windows.ms] Debugging windows appl. with one monitor

garyk@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Kipnis) (08/07/90)

Hi, when debugging windows applications, the windows kernel tries to
write all of the error codes to AUX port.  Unfortunately I don't have
anything connected to that port; is there a way to redirect these error
codes into a file?  Why didn't Microsoft just use a dialog box to report
the code?

thanks for any info,

gary

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (08/08/90)

In article <995@ios.Convergent.COM> garyk@ios.Convergent.COM (Gary Kipnis) writes:
>Hi, when debugging windows applications, the windows kernel tries to
>write all of the error codes to AUX port.  Unfortunately I don't have
>anything connected to that port; is there a way to redirect these error
>codes into a file?  Why didn't Microsoft just use a dialog box to report
>the code?

The errors that get reported to the aux port are Fatal Errors.  They are
of such severity that windows cannot be assumed to run well enough to report
the errors in a dialog box.

At my previous employer, we had a driver called "ox.sys" which re-directed
the aux port to a monochrome monitor.  This worked when running 2 monitors
-- EGA/VGA and Monochrome.  Presuming that you don't have two monitors,
another solution to your problem would be to write a driver like ox.sys
which redirected the output to a file, or perhaps to a printer.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com