[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0, Priam Hard Drives, and Bastard Clone Boards

rcarver@orion.cair.du.edu (RANDALL CARVER ) (08/07/90)

I caught an inkling of the problem that windows 3.0 has with the Priam
InnerSpace program EDVR.SYS.  While we are not using EDVR.SYS windows
is still barfing up pretty badly.  I think part of the problem may lie
in the fact that the priam disk is not a true Dos disk (chkdsk doesn't
think so), and they also warn you pretty strongly about using dos
formatting.  I'm still waiting to here from Priam on this though.

Furthermore we're running a bastard 386 clone board - a Precision 386
baby II (No I wasn't here when it was purchased so at least that much
isn't my fault) with 640K and 8M expanded memory.

The errors I'm getting are as follows:
	win /s - either no error message just the win intro then back to dos
			 - or insufficient memory
	win /3 - same in both cases
***note: these error messages seem to appear randomly with no change to
config.sys or autoexec.bat

It will run in Real Mode, Telling me that mem is something like 531K
328K EMS, and expanded is up at about 6M
	Inside windows Real Mode-
			Often get the message Insufficient memory to run application.

As to the exact nature of these messages I must apologize. I nuked
Windows 3.0 until either Priam or MS get back to me.

Please if anyone has any information email me or post it if you
think its worthwhile.

Thanx in advance,
Randy Carver

dve@zooid.UUCP (system operator) (08/07/90)

rcarver@orion.cair.du.edu (RANDALL CARVER ) writes:

> Furthermore we're running a bastard 386 clone board - a Precision 386
> baby II (No I wasn't here when it was purchased so at least that much
> isn't my fault) with 640K and 8M expanded memory.

That's your problem. You need extended memory to use Windows 3.0
effectively, not expanded. You can't even go into 386 Enhanced Mode unless
you have 2mb of extended RAM, and standard mode requires at least a
megabyte.

Check the motherboard, there is a good chance that you can reconfigure some
of the memory to be extended instead of expanded. If not, junk the
motherboard and pick up a new one or if worst comes to worst get an extended
memory card, which won't be as fast as motherboard memory but at least it
will be useable.

Expanded memory was very helpful in the previous version of Windows, but
fortunately they started using extended memory for this version.

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (08/09/90)

rcarver@orion.cair.du.edu (RANDALL CARVER ) writes:

>I caught an inkling of the problem that windows 3.0 has with the Priam
>InnerSpace program EDVR.SYS.  While we are not using EDVR.SYS windows
>is still barfing up pretty badly.  I think part of the problem may lie
>in the fact that the priam disk is not a true Dos disk (chkdsk doesn't
>think so), and they also warn you pretty strongly about using dos
>formatting.  I'm still waiting to here from Priam on this though.

>Furthermore we're running a bastard 386 clone board - a Precision 386
>baby II (No I wasn't here when it was purchased so at least that much
>isn't my fault) with 640K and 8M expanded memory.

>The errors I'm getting are as follows:
>	win /s - either no error message just the win intro then back to dos
>			 - or insufficient memory
>	win /3 - same in both cases
>***note: these error messages seem to appear randomly with no change to
>config.sys or autoexec.bat

>It will run in Real Mode, Telling me that mem is something like 531K
>328K EMS, and expanded is up at about 6M
>	Inside windows Real Mode-
>			Often get the message Insufficient memory to
>run application.

>As to the exact nature of these messages I must apologize. I nuked
>Windows 3.0 until either Priam or MS get back to me.

Expanded !== Extended.  Expanded memory, often referred to as EMS is
bank-switched RAM mapped to a 16kB-64kB range between 640kB and 1024kB
(that's A000-FFFF, and usually starting at D000, D800, or E000).
Extended memory is RAM installed above 1MB (10000), and does not use
bank switching for access.

To run Win3 in Standard mode (WIN/S), you must have 1MB non-EMS
memory.  That would be 640kB base plus at least 384kB exTENDed (not
exPANDed) RAM.  To start Win3 in Enhanced mode (WIN/3), at least 2MB
of non-EMS memory (640kB base plus 1408kB exTENDed RAM) must be
available.

On a 386, you should configure all memory (or at least as much as
possible, leaving only the minimum EMS needed for applications that
require it) as exTENDed memory.  When running Win3, you should not use
any memory managers that seek to emulate EMS (exPANDed memory) via
exTENDed memory or move device drivers and TSR's into high RAM
(>640kB), as they will interfere with Win3 in both Standard and
Enhanced modes.  Memory managers include Compaq's CEMM, Qualitas'
386Max, and QuarterDeck's QEMM/386.

As far as the Priam drive goes, I have never seen a Priam drive
configuration that caused DOS CHKDSK to report a non-DOS disk and did
not require the EDVR.SYS driver.  You may want to try using Win3 with
the recommended workarounds (no SMARTDRV.SYS in CONFIG.SYS, turn
VirtualHDIrq off in SYS.INI, and don't attempt permanent swap files in
Enhanced mode) and see if that makes any difference.

Best of luck!