[comp.windows.ms] Fixed Fonts in Windows 3.00

mcjilton@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (charles mar mcjilton) (08/10/90)

We're developing an application under Windows 3.00, and were having some
problems moving from 2.11 to 3.0.  Most of these problems are because we
were using edit boxes for getting things like state, and under the

We were wondering if anyone has successfully set the application device context
to the system fixed font used when Windows 3.0 runs a Windows 2.11 application.
The fixed font is provided for compatability with existing 2.11 apps, but
we haven't found any way to use it.

Failing that we'd like to know if you have any suggestions on setting the
device context font for a dialog box to the system fixed font.

The resource compiler has a font command, but it only lets you access it by
the "Courier", and "times Roman" type of convention.  It doesn't appear to use
the OEM_FIXEDFONT_ANSI, etc keywords defined in windows.h.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (08/10/90)

In article <8408@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> mcjilton@handel.UUCP (charles mar mcjilton) writes:
>We're developing an application under Windows 3.00, and were having some
>problems moving from 2.11 to 3.0.
>We were wondering if anyone has successfully set the application device context
>to the system fixed font used when Windows 3.0 runs a Windows 2.11 application.
>The fixed font is provided for compatability with existing 2.11 apps, but
>we haven't found any way to use it.
>
>Failing that we'd like to know if you have any suggestions on setting the
>device context font for a dialog box to the system fixed font.

Print out all the .txt and .wri files in the directory where you installed
your windows 3.0 binaries.  I just did that recently after seeing a reference
in the manual and found quite a bit of interesting information.

The file tips.txt contains information about "Using a Fixed Font" in section
1.4.1.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (08/10/90)

In article <8408@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> mcjilton@handel.UUCP (charles mar mcjilton) writes:
>We're developing an application under Windows 3.00, and were having some
>problems moving from 2.11 to 3.0.  Most of these problems are because we
>were using edit boxes for getting things like state, and under the

What you have to do is to handle the WM_INITDIALOG message and select in the
right font at that point.  This is documented in a file that was on the
SDK disks.
--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com