[comp.windows.ms] Running two copies of windows

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (08/09/90)

In article <6040@milton.u.washington.edu> ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) writes:
>In article <1990Aug8.171222.11281@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>#no obvious reason. A couple of times I think that I was trying to do "too
>#much", for example, running more than one copy of windows, at other
>
>Can you summarize what one needs to do to run more than one copy of Windows?
>Do you need to run an entirely separate copy from another directory?  Other-
>wise, how do you keep them from using the same swap files, configuration
>files, etc?

Actually, it is really easy. The simplest way is to get into the file
manager, and double click on win.com. Win.com is a dos program, and it
will run with whatever defaults you setup in _default.pif (or whatever
the thing is called.)

I have set up a win.pif which makes win.com run in full screen mode,
with lots of expanded and extended memory. I use this to run Win2.0
applications. I set the second copy of windows to run in real mode (doubt
that it can run any other way).

There is no problem with the swap file, as the second copy is in real
mode, it doesn't control the swap file, though I guess that the first
copy does. I would guess that things are gawdawfully slow, but I never
tested it. (Win is slow anyhow...) It uses the same configuration
files, which is confusing, but if you don't make any changes to thing
like the program manager groups, then I feel that it works okay. It is
a little flaky, though, and I've had my second copy crash out back to
the first copy with the message about "this program has violated
system integrity."

I don't recommend this for novices, nor for the faint hearted. I try
and avoid it as much as possible myself...

kartik

Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (08/11/90)

I was playing with that today, and discovered that apparently the Windows
clipboard is sacrosanct; if I don't reserve the PrtSc key in the .PIF file
and try to dump the sub-Windows screen to the meta-Windows clipboard, when I
exit the sub-Windows process the computer crashes with a text message in the
upper left corner of the screen (I don't remember what it was, and I have
yet to get any of this to work on my computer at home).  Any ideas why this
is?

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu