[comp.windows.ms] DOS Apps under Win3.0

heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com (08/07/90)

I'm having a problem running DOS apps on Windows 3.0.  When I
run a single DOS app, either as a window or full-screen, everything
is just fine.  When I try to run a second application (command.com
for example), I get (in one of the dos windows) "memory allocation
error, can not load COMMAND.COM, system halted".  The overall
windows performance becomes very sluggish at that point, and I
have to "terminate" both dos windows, and reboot (otherwise strange
things happen later, like steady beeping, etc).

Is there some trick to running multiple dos apps simultaneously?  I
usually have tried running command.coms to give me "dos windows."

For reference, the configuration is as follows:

80386-DX/25 Mhz
8 mb 70ns 1MB chip DRAM
4 MB smartdrv
1 MB ramdrive
The motherboard has the Chips & Tech. chipset
The BIOS is 04/09/90 AMI
(shadowing is enabled)
ATI VGA Wonder w/512K and NEC Multisync II
  running in "VGA mode" in windows.

Since I made this upgrade after finding that WIN3 didn't do what I wanted
(actual multi-tasking of DOS apps in (and running dos apps in windows)) on
my 286, I'd really like to find out what is happening here.  (at least as
a temporary solution until I get UNIX installed).

Thanks in advance for any comments, advice, tips, suggestions, etc.

Bill Heiser

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (08/09/90)

> For reference, the configuration is as follows:
>
> 80386-DX/25 Mhz
> 8 mb 70ns 1MB chip DRAM
> 4 MB smartdrv
> 1 MB ramdrive
> The motherboard has the Chips & Tech. chipset
> The BIOS is 04/09/90 AMI
> (shadowing is enabled)
> ATI VGA Wonder w/512K and NEC Multisync II
>   running in "VGA mode" in windows.

You have almost the same hardware configuration as I do. I have 10 MB RAM
and 03/09/89 AMI BIOS.

The main difference is I don't run smartdrv and ramdrive. I use
PC-KWIK instead. And I am able to run multiple 4DOS windows in
WIN 3 386 mode. The maximum I went to is 4 (I think). I tested
simultaneous compilation in two of the 4DOS windows and at the
same time running GIF file displaying cycle on a third full screen
4DOS window.

So, may be smartdrv and ramdrive are screwing up.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (08/11/90)

In article <18950004@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>You have almost the same hardware configuration as I do. I have 10 MB RAM
>and 03/09/89 AMI BIOS.
>
>The main difference is I don't run smartdrv and ramdrive. I use
>PC-KWIK instead. And I am able to run multiple 4DOS windows in
>WIN 3 386 mode. The maximum I went to is 4 (I think). I tested
>simultaneous compilation in two of the 4DOS windows and at the
>same time running GIF file displaying cycle on a third full screen
>4DOS window.
>
>So, may be smartdrv and ramdrive are screwing up.

Well, I found that the problem was caused by the 'ced' command-history
TSR.  I haven't tried 4dos, but the problem is gone anyway.  I have
heard about something called "hyperdrive" or something like that.  Have
you tried that one?

Is your m/b the Soyo one, or is it "the same" in that it has the ami
bios and c&t chipset?

Bill