[comp.windows.ms] Broken Window

deb@cci632.UUCP (Deborah Brown) (08/02/90)

Last night, I was using file manager (Windows 3.0) to move a file from one
directory to another.  I had three windows open while I was doing this.

I copied the file ok, but when I went to exit the file manager, I was told
that there was an "unrecoverable file damage" or something like that.  I
found out that my main window that contains the basic functions had disappeared.

I exited windows and started up again and was told that the main program group
was damaged or invalid and had to be recreated.  No problem.  I opened the
manual to find out what to do, but the manual was no help at all.  I wound up
reinstalling Windows.

My questions:

What the heck did I do?

Has this happened to anyone else?

How does one recreate a group without reinstalling the entire package?

In case it matters, I'm running it on DOS 4.01.

Thanks in advance!

***********************************Oh boy!*************************************
Quote: "I think that last leap in time has added more holes to that swiss
	cheese memory of yours." Al, QUANTUM LEAP
Disclamer: "Disclaim THIS, pal!" (my employer thinks I'm working)
Debbie Brown: cci632!jloda!deb -OR- deb%jloda@cci632
********** It's 1995: do you know where your quantum physicist is? ************

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (08/09/90)

In article <38980@cci632.UUCP> deb@cci632.UUCP (Deborah Brown) writes:
>I exited windows and started up again and was told that the main program group
>was damaged or invalid and had to be recreated.  No problem.  I opened the
>manual to find out what to do, but the manual was no help at all.  I wound up
>reinstalling Windows.

I have had similar problems. I find that program manager groups "die" for
no obvious reason. A couple of times I think that I was trying to do "too
much", for example, running more than one copy of windows, at other
times I was not doing anything unusual.

I suggest that MS includes an option that allows us to save the program
manager groups without having to exit windows (similar to the save
changes dialog box that comes up when we quit windows.)

kartik{
Anant Kartik Mithal					akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Department of Computer Science				akm@oregon.BITNET
University of Oregon

ashing@milton.u.washington.edu (Al Shing) (08/09/90)

In article <1990Aug8.171222.11281@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
#
#I have had similar problems. I find that program manager groups "die" for
#no obvious reason. A couple of times I think that I was trying to do "too
#much", for example, running more than one copy of windows, at other
#times I was not doing anything unusual.
#

Can you summarize what one needs to do to run more than one copy of Windows?
Do you need to run an entirely separate copy from another directory?  Other-
wise, how do you keep them from using the same swap files, configuration
files, etc?

--
    Al Shing (ashing@cac.washington.edu)

bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Bob N Keenan) (08/09/90)

In article <38980@cci632.UUCP> deb@cci632.UUCP (Deborah Brown) writes:
>Last night, I was using file manager (Windows 3.0) to move a file from one
>directory to another. {etc.}
>...that there was an "unrecoverable file damage" or something like that.  I
>found out that my main window that contains the basic functions had disappeared.
>My questions:
>Has this happened to anyone else?
>How does one recreate a group without reinstalling the entire package?

Debbie and others-

yes this happend to me too. to fix it, from the program manager window,
select New, then 'program group.' call the group MAIN. you will then
have your "main" icon along with the others (windows apps, games, non-
windows apps etc) click to the main icon - it will be empty. then bring
it to full screen by pressing the ^ arrow in the upper right hand corner.
selecet New, then "program item" then type the name of the icon ex.:
file manager is called FILE MANAGER. press return, then use the browse button
to look through the directory of .exe files.  you will manually need to add
each item. (dos prompt, file manager, print manager, setup, clipboard, and
control panel)  then description line, type the name of the icon the way
you want it to appear on the screen. then on the command line, using the
browse button will put the path and the name of the .exe file in for you.
I hope these direction aren't TOO confusing. mail me if you have questions
and i'll try to be more specific...............bob K.
~ Bob N. Keenan                     |         ALGEBRA QUIZ
~ University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee | Q: What is 5q+5q?
~ bnk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu              | A: You're welcome!

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (08/09/90)

In article <38980@cci632.UUCP>, deb@cci632.UUCP (Deborah Brown) writes:
> Last night, I was using file manager (Windows 3.0) to move a file from one
> directory to another.  I had three windows open while I was doing this.
>
> I copied the file ok, but when I went to exit the file manager, I was told
> that there was an "unrecoverable file damage" or something like that.  I
> found out that my main window that contains the basic functions had
> disappeared.
>
> What the heck did I do?

Something might have clobbered one of the .GRP files, or possibly
PROGMAN.INI.  If that isn't the case I don't have any good ideas -
possibly a Windows bug or a hardware error.

> Has this happened to anyone else?

Not to my knowledge.  But that doesn't mean too much - software
and especially hardware errors can be very specific.

> How does one recreate a group without reinstalling the entire package?

This depends on what's corrupted.  If at least some of your group files
are intact, you can re-install them pretty simply by the following
steps (starting from the DOS prompt):

	1.  Save the old PROGMAN.INI file somewhere in case something
	    goes wrong.  (This is the Program Manager's initialization
	    file).
	2.  Delete the old PROGMAN.INI file.
	3.  Save the old group files (*.GRP) somewhere in case
	    something goes wrong.
	4.  Run Windows and select the New option under the Program
	    Manager's File menu.
	5.  For each group, select New Group and type in the group's
	    file name (if the file is corrupted you may need to type
	    the group name too).  Group files are named things like
	    MAIN.GRP and ACCESSOR.GRP in the Windows directory, so
	    it's pretty easy to figure out which file goes with which
	    group.
	6.  Exit Windows.
	7.  Run Windows again and see if the Program Manager comes
	    up properly.

If installing one or more of the group files causes problems, you
may have to start over and not install that group, or install it
under a different file name and add programs to it manually (see
below).

You can recreate fatally corrupted groups manually by adding programs
to them (also under the New option).  The program file names are for
the most part pretty obvious for the standard Windows programs - just
look at *.EXE in the Windows directory.

If you want to locate Windows applications on your machine (other
than the ones that come with the Windows distribution), you can run
SETUP to scan the disk (this is what Windows does during its install
process in order to scan the disk for Windows applications).  Choose
the Options menu and select the item about setting up applications.
(If you are having trouble with the Program Manager you can still
get to Setup by starting Windows with WIN SETUP).

By the way, the PROGMAN.INI file is editable and you can change the
group file names easily using a DOS editor - may be useful in trying
to recover from this sort of problem.  The *.GRP files are NOT editable.

As far as I can see it's an unpleasant problem no matter how you
deal with it.  Re-installing Windows is in some ways the simplest
because it is more mechanical, but it may not be the fastest unless
the corruption is really severe.

						Bruce C. Wright

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (08/10/90)

In article <1990Aug8.171222.11281@cs.uoregon.edu> akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:
>I suggest that MS includes an option that allows us to save the program
>manager groups without having to exit windows (similar to the save
>changes dialog box that comes up when we quit windows.)

Try doing what I do:

First run a DOS application, then switch back to the Program Manager.
Close the Program Manager to exit windows, with the Save Changes box
checked.  Program Manager will save all changes, then notice that you have
a DOS app running.  It pops up a dialog box saying "Application still
active; choose OK to end it."  Instead of clicking "OK", click "Cancel"
and you will still be in Windows, but with your changes saved.

This takes less time to do than to explain, especially since I always have
several DOS apps loaded anyway.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

strobl@gmdzi.UUCP (Wolfgang Strobl) (08/10/90)

akm@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

>In article <38980@cci632.UUCP> deb@cci632.UUCP (Deborah Brown) writes:
>>I exited windows and started up again and was told that the main program group
>>was damaged or invalid and had to be recreated.  No problem.  I opened the
>>manual to find out what to do, but the manual was no help at all.  I wound up
>>reinstalling Windows.

>I have had similar problems. I find that program manager groups "die" for
>no obvious reason. A couple of times I think that I was trying to do "too
>much", for example, running more than one copy of windows, at other
>times I was not doing anything unusual.

I too have corrupted groups now and then. Every other day I copy
all group files (i.e. *.grp) into a backup directory. If a group file gets
corrupted I simply copy the backup over the corrupted file. I haven't
tested this much.

If I start Windows on my machine at home in real mode, it pops up
a few dialog boxes "Cannot open group file +$%&/()" (I translated the
message from German into English). Instead of a file name, the
message contains some random garbage. If I leave Windows after this
message, the check box of the final message is grayed, so I cannot
force Windows to write incomplete group datasets, this way.

>I suggest that MS includes an option that allows us to save the program
>manager groups without having to exit windows (similar to the save
>changes dialog box that comes up when we quit windows.)

A workaround which works for me is: I open a DOS window, tell the
program manager to terminate Windows and check the "save groups" box.
Windows first saves the groups and cancels the termination request
because of the open DOS application, then. On a 386 this is quite fast.
But I second your suggestion: there should be a save menu entry in
the program manager.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

chrisg@microsoft.UUCP (Chris GUZAK) (08/10/90)

In article <38980@cci632.UUCP> deb@cci632.UUCP (Deborah Brown) writes:

>My questions:
>
>How does one recreate a group without reinstalling the entire package?

Run setup with the -p option. This recreates all the default groups.

>Thanks in advance!
>Disclamer: "Disclaim THIS, pal!" (my employer thinks I'm working)
>Debbie Brown: cci632!jloda!deb -OR- deb%jloda@cci632

No problem.

jmorriso@fs0.ee.ubc.ca (John Paul Morrison) (08/12/90)

Speaking of programs clobbering your Program manager .grp files, and other
Windows files, I tried a program of of Cica, I think it was click, or something
like that. It allowed you to run programs by pressing a button on a panel
it left on screen. Any way it tried to change the win.ini file and it screwed up!

Obviuosly MY fault for trusting shareware/ public domain! I sure won't trust HIS
stuff for a while. Even the push-buttons looked shabby, he couldn't have tested
it very thoroughly. This program DESTROYED my win.ini file! I was bloody luck to have
Norton (Bless you, Peter!) to pull the file back from the lost realm. Anyone else
unfortunate enough to try this shoddy program, who did not have Norton around
would be right up the creek! With a trashed win.ini file you can't do anything!
You would need to reinstall just about everything.

This brush with fate was too close for me, I have backed up my .ini and .grp
files. For some reason, when I first installed Windows, the Program  manager was
a bit flaky, and if it crashed, you could destroy your .grp files, which is very
unpleasant. I think it is pretty stupid of Microsoft to make the .grp files
binaries, they should be text files, so we can change things easily!
Just try changing icons manually eith these HUGE libraries out there. Fortunately
there is groupbuild for this. Even Excel or WOrd can start the DDE needed to change
your icons quickly.