[comp.windows.ms] X11 under Windows 3.0 wanted

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (08/10/90)

Hi,

I need some info. This might have been asked before, but I wan't
paying attention  :-).

Does anyone know of any X11 server (or client ?? I'm confused)
that runs under Windows 3.0 386 Enhanced mode ? I need one that
will be able to hook up to a UNIX X11 machine via. modem (at
9600 baud or may be higher). One that requires special hardware
like special display board or ethernet card is no use to me.
I need something that will work over the telephone wire.

Any clue ? tips ? product name ? review ? pointers ? vendor
name / phone number ? Magazine to look for ?

BTW, I run a 386 machine with 10 MB RAM and ATI VGA Wonder, and
Windows 3.0 386 Enhanced mode.

All info welcome !

Thanks in advance.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

mutchler@zule.EBay (Dan Mutchler) (08/10/90)

In article <18950006@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

   Does anyone know of any X11 server (or client ?? I'm confused)
   that runs under Windows 3.0 386 Enhanced mode ? I need one that
   will be able to hook up to a UNIX X11 machine via. modem (at
   9600 baud or may be higher). One that requires special hardware
   like special display board or ethernet card is no use to me.
   I need something that will work over the telephone wire.

   Any clue ? tips ? product name ? review ? pointers ? vendor
   name / phone number ? Magazine to look for ?

Contact GSS in Portland (503)641-2200. They resell Vision Ware's
XVision which provides the capability to display X Window client
windows under Windows 3.0. This month's Byte has a review of
the product and it looks pretty good.

--

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler

chris@vision.UUCP (Chris Davies) (08/10/90)

In article <18950006@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
>Does anyone know of any X11 server (or client ?? I'm confused)
>that runs under Windows 3.0 386 Enhanced mode ? I need one that
>will be able to hook up to a UNIX X11 machine via. modem (at
>9600 baud or may be higher). One that requires special hardware
>like special display board or ethernet card is no use to me.
>I need something that will work over the telephone wire.

We sell a product called XVision which will give you the X under Windows 3.0.
If you use FTP's generic packet driver (configured for SLIP) you will be able
to use X over a 'phone line.  This assumes your host can also support SLIP.

Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris@vision.uucp     JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris@vware.mn.org    OTHER: chris@vision.co.uk

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (08/13/90)

In article <18950006@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
>I need some info. This might have been asked before, but I wan't
>paying attention  :-).
>Does anyone know of any X11 server (or client ?? I'm confused)
>that runs under Windows 3.0 386 Enhanced mode ? I need one that

	I use Xvision.  Unipress sells it.  Is is nice, but has a
	few problems.  I has a fixed amount of colors, so some clients
	can't change to what they want.  Their 101 keyboard mapping
	is broke.  You have to remap it using the X mapping utility.
	It has some nice features, such as being able to use
	Windows as the window manager, or your favorit X wintows manager.
	Using Windows as the manager gets a lot of the traffic off the
	ethernet, and allows other Windows programs, such as Excel
	to run in another window with cut and paste, etc.
-randy
--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us