[comp.windows.ms] hDC Products

hdccorp@nwnexus.WA.COM (hDC Computer Corp. ) (07/30/90)

Help us with our next round of product offerings!  What do you like
in hDC Express and hDC FirstApps?  What don't you like?  What new
features and enhancements would you like to see?  What new MicroApps
or other products would you like to see?  Any feedback you can give
us will help us design products which best meet your needs.  Thanks!

Brian Conte
CEO, hDC

--
hDC Computer Corporation
hdccorp@nwnexus.wa.com

dve@zooid.UUCP (system operator) (07/31/90)

hdccorp@nwnexus.WA.COM (hDC Computer Corp. ) writes:

> Help us with our next round of product offerings!  What do you like

I've seen a lot of demand for a quick, easy to access DOS type command line.
This would be instead of the usual click on COMMAND.COM icon and would be
different in that you wouldn't have to wait while it loaded command.com, it
wouldn't take as much Windows memory, and 286 users would be able to leave
it running all the time. I know it sort of goes against GUI's to have a
command line, but sometimes it's nice to be able to type COPY *.BLE C:\HERE
instead of using the file manager...

medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (08/02/90)

In article <349@nwnexus.WA.COM> hdccorp@nwnexus.WA.COM (hDC Computer Corp. ) writes:
>Help us with our next round of product offerings!  What do you like
>in hDC Express and hDC FirstApps?  What don't you like?  What new
>features and enhancements would you like to see?  What new MicroApps
>or other products would you like to see?  Any feedback you can give
>us will help us design products which best meet your needs.  Thanks!

I've not yet received my update to FirstApps and Express, so excuse me
if these are already available.

How about a trashcan, dumpster, shredder, or similar type of icon to
delete files.  I don't know how this would sit with Apple, but don't
think it would be infringing if the icon was not a close duplicate of
the Mac's.

Also, I'd like to be able to load and run specific applications on
start-up with their icons placed and windows sized and located where I
prefer them.  I tried a program under Win286 called DeskSave/DeskLoad,
but these had some bugs and did not address all my needs.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (08/02/90)

In article <349@nwnexus.WA.COM> hdccorp@nwnexus.WA.COM (hDC Computer Corp. ) writes:
>Help us with our next round of product offerings!  What do you like
>in hDC Express and hDC FirstApps?  What don't you like?  What new
>features and enhancements would you like to see?  What new MicroApps
>or other products would you like to see?  Any feedback you can give
>us will help us design products which best meet your needs.  Thanks!

	Make the calendar pick up what's in the Windows calendar and also allow
entries to go back to it. (Or even write your own - neither Windows or
ToolBooks is very good.) Also make it compatible with something like SideKicks
calendar for xfer to a laptop that's too small for windows and things like the
Casio BOSS (it can talk SideKick files).

	Make the memory viewer more readable when there are bunches of stuff
loaded. Even with the color differences, they are virtually unreadable.

	/s/	Bob Gettys

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (08/02/90)

In article <Aug.1.13.25.39.1990.10444@elbereth.rutgers.edu> medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>Also, I'd like to be able to load and run specific applications on
>start-up with their icons placed and windows sized and located where I
>prefer them.  I tried a program under Win286 called DeskSave/DeskLoad,
>but these had some bugs and did not address all my needs.

I believe that Windows Express for Windows 3.0 has this feature.  I saw a demo
of the software at PC-Expo and was pretty impressed.  The animated background
bitmaps were pretty cool also (the demo had a dinosaur stomping past the
screen).
--
"Organized fandom is composed of a bunch of nitpickers with a thing for
 trivial pursuit."  -Harlan Ellison

Patrick Deupree ->	patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (08/11/90)

>>hdccorp@nwnexus.WA.COM (hDC Computer Corp. ) writes:
>
>> Help us with our next round of product offerings!  What do you like

Something like Mac Suitcase. A way to get DA's (like
WIndows Manager). A way to use all those Mac PD fonts
on a postscript printer from Windows.

gyugyi@portia.Stanford.EDU (Paul Gyugyi) (08/13/90)

In article <54047@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>>hdccorp@nwnexus.WA.COM (hDC Computer Corp. ) writes:
>>
>>> Help us with our next round of product offerings!  What do you like

A way for the first apps to not appear on the icon line.  The sys enhancer
icon has no function, Work sets doesn't unless you don't use quick sets,
and the desktop hardly ever gets changed, so half of the icon line is wasted.
Lets see, what else,...the memory viewer is great because it can include
discardable memory so you can see what an app really wants from windows,
but it takes way too long on it's timer interrupts, making the whole
system too jerkey to use.  A setting for how often to recompute would
be best.
I wish there was a quick way to enlarge a window to a all-the-screen-except-
the-icon-area, aside from closing all but the app and tiling the window.

A windows app that could zip or at least unzip files would be wonderful.
On a /286, you can't shell out to dos without messing up a download operation,
so an application that yeilds control now and then would make life easier.

Could you release a DLL so people could make their own microapp, or at least
register them with the micromanager?  (using a work set quickset lets you
do this to some extent).  Screen Peace is gaining wide support as a screen
saver (despite a few bugs) because it's possible to write your own.  You
could force a DA standard with such a DLL, and try to sell it to MSoft
before they come out with their own...

Paul Gyugyi
gyugyi@portia.stanford.edu