[comp.windows.ms] TSENG SVGA DRIVER NEWS

eh1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric David Hornchek) (08/09/90)

Several people have sent me messages requesting a summary of the availability
of ORCHID (TSENG) SVGA drivers for windows 3.0.   I just called Orchid and the
guy told me that TSENG has not yet released the drivers and to check back in
another month or so.  He did say that the 640*480*256 mode is to be supported
as well as the higher resolution modes.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Eric D. Hornchek                     \ | / "There Has To Be An Invisible |
| eh1b@andrew.cmu.edu                  -[_]-  Sun, It Gives It's Heat To   |
| Carnegie Mellon University           / | \  Everyone" - The Police.      |

williams@nssdcs (Jim Williams (SYSGROUP)) (08/09/90)

-From: eh1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric David Hornchek)
-Date: 8 Aug 90 21:07:02 GMT

-Several people have sent me messages requesting a summary of the availability
-of ORCHID (TSENG) SVGA drivers for windows 3.0.   I just called Orchid and the
-guy told me that TSENG has not yet released the drivers and to check back in
-another month or so.  He did say that the 640*480*256 mode is to be supported
-as well as the higher resolution modes.

I have a new 386 clone with a "VGA ULTRA" card from Puretek.  It has
the Tseng Labs chips on it, it think the part number was T4000B, or
something close to that.  It has 1MB of display RAM and can do
1024x768x256.   Unfortunately, I don't have a VGA monitor yet!  The
card has a TTL connector and I'm using a CGA monitor until I get my NEC
4D (which may be tonight!).  Anyway, I asked when I bought the machine
about Windows 3.0 drivers (I have win3 on order) and was told that they
were under development but not out yet.  When I called Puretek in
California (sorry, I don't have their number with me), I was told they
had the drivers and would send them to me.  A few days ago I got two
floppies, one of which contained the win 3.0 drivers.  Of course, I
haven't tested them yet, but supposedly they handle all the higher
resolutions and color depth of the board.  If these drivers would work
on an Orchid, and if it's legal, I suppose I could post them.
Otherwise, I suggest you call Orchid and ask why they don't have the
drivers and others do.  Perhaps Puretek wrote their own?

I can post more once I have the my NEC 4D and get my copy of Win 3.

Spoken: Jim Williams             Domain: williams@nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Phone: +1-301-555-1212           UUCP:   uunet!mimsy!williams
USPS: NASA/GSFC, Code 633, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Motto: There is no 'd' in "kluge"!  It rhymes with "deluge", not "sludge".

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (08/10/90)

In article <sak7vqi00WB6MNNEpv@andrew.cmu.edu> eh1b+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric David Hornchek) writes:

> Several people have sent me messages requesting a summary of the
> availability of ORCHID (TSENG) SVGA drivers for windows 3.0. I just
> called Orchid and the guy told me that TSENG has not yet released the
> drivers and to check back in another month or so. He did say that the
> 640*480*256 mode is to be supported as well as the higher resolution
> modes.

I find this very interesting. Last week I bought the Sigma Legend VGA
board. I then downloaded from their BBS Windows 3.0 Drivers for four
different resolution types. The file contained 640x480x256, 800x600x16,
800x600x256 and 1024x768x256 drivers. I added both 800x600x256 and
1024x768x256 to my system.ini file (my board, with 1Meg of memory, does
both of these). I then tried both of them. In 800x600x256, everything
works great. In 1024x768x256, there are some very thin lines at the top
of my NEC 4D monitor. I called Sigma and they said that this was caused
by a bad batch of Tseng chips. They are sending me a new board.

But based on this information, I would think that it Orchid not Tseng
that is draging their feet.

Clancy Malloy

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (08/13/90)

The Orchid Prodesigner uses the ET3000. The O.P.D. II uses
the ET4000. It seems Win3 drivers are available for the
ET4000 (also used by Sigma Legend, etc) but the ET3000 is
the stepchild that doesn't have any support yet.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Real Pacifists don't call the Police.