[comp.windows.ms] Utilizing expanded and extended memory in 386 enhanced mode

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (08/07/90)

	Currently running Windows 3.0 on a NEC 386/20 with 1 MB extended
memory. I'd like to run my Intel Above Board as *expanded* memory while
still running 386 Enhanced mode, but so far no luck. CONFIG.SYS includes:

		device=c:\himem.sys
		device=c:\emm.sys at c800 208 exp=2048

	The manual (page 542) states "Windows will not run in standard
or 386 enhanced mode in conjunction with current versions of other
expanded memory emulators... If you use one of these utilities instead
of EMM386, Windows will run only in real mode."

	Well, this is NOT the case with my setup, since my setup works
just fine in standard mode. (Of course, I'm not really "emulating"
expanded memory, but running it as it was designed to be run.)

	If I'm reading the manual correctly EMM386 requires that my
board be running as extended memory, which is not what I'm after.
According to Quarterdeck's Manifest, I still have a 96k chunk of
contiguous high memory available for (whatever) after loading Intel's driver.

	So... anyone got any hints of what's still possible?

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (08/11/90)

Windows 3.0 really wants to see extended memory if at all possible. Extended
memory is really just conventional memory on 286 and 386 machines. The only
distinction is that when the machine is run in real mode its address space is
cut down to 1M. Windows 3.0 standard and 386 enhanced modes are protected mode
applications so they look at all the memory in the machine. Expanded memory
was a trick that was devised for DOS and PCs. You should convert all your
memory to extended if possible. Also use the drivers that windows installs
instead of the ones that come with your Above Board. They will be atomatically
installed during setup. If you have DOS apps that want to use either extended
or expanded memory and you are running in 386 mode, Windows will provide it
for them automatically.

I run all my DOS software from Windows an no longer have to worry about
various EMM emulators. The only occasional inconvience is that I have to run
high res. graphics programs full screen, but all text and cga based stuff runs
in a resizable window. And they get all the memory they need.

-- --
Computer Science Center		Richard Oppenheimer
University of Maryland		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)
College Park, Maryland ,USA	richard@wam.umd.edu (home)
****** My employer cares not what I think and knows not what I say. ********

heiser@sud509.ed.ray.com (Bill Heiser - Unix Sys Admin) (08/13/90)

In article <7087@umd5.umd.edu> oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) writes:

>I run all my DOS software from Windows an no longer have to worry about
>various EMM emulators. The only occasional inconvience is that I have to run
>high res. graphics programs full screen, but all text and cga based stuff runs
>in a resizable window. And they get all the memory they need.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but maybe not...  I find that I can't
re-size command.com windows.  I'm using the 800*600 driver for the ATI
VGA Wonder.  Is this a bug or a feature?  :-)

--
Bill Heiser
	Work:   heiser@tdw201.ed.ray.com