[comp.windows.ms] How do I add to a group via a program?

dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) (08/12/90)

Does anyone know where I can find the format of a .grp (group) file?

I want my application to generate a new copy of itself (w/different
configs) and I'd like that to be added to a group.

			Thanks for any pointers?

			Joe Herman

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

P.S. I have an SDK, but I didn't see a reference to this....

--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (08/13/90)

In article <7090@umd5.umd.edu> dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find the format of a .grp (group) file?
>
>I want my application to generate a new copy of itself (w/different
>configs) and I'd like that to be added to a group.
>
>			Thanks for any pointers?

See page 22-19 of the Guide to Programming.  Under section 22.4.4 (Dynamic
Data Exchange -- Executing Commands in a Remote Application) is a section
on "Program Manager DDE Command Set."  The commands include CreateGroup,
AddItem, DeleteGroup, ShowGroup and ExitProgram.
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

brianf@umd5.umd.edu (Brian Farmer) (08/13/90)

In article <7090@umd5.umd.edu> dzoey@umd5.umd.edu (Joe Herman) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can find the format of a .grp (group) file?
>
>I want my application to generate a new copy of itself (w/different
>configs) and I'd like that to be added to a group.

Inside your application you can setup DDE communication with the Program
Manager and tell it to add an item to a group. Your program will have
to except command line parameters in order for this to work.  The Program
Manager DDE command set is documented in chapter 22 pages 19-22 of the Guide
to Programming.  Its not exactly what you asked for but is probably the
"correct" way of adding groups.

ps Hello Joey.

Brian Farmer
brianf@umd5.umd.edu