[comp.windows.ms] HP LaserJet III driver problem with WinWord

userHJL2@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Milan Ralitsch) (08/10/90)

Can anyone explain to me why the Symbol font in WinWord
will not show correctly on the screen when the LaserJet III
driver is loaded?  It does show with any other driver (I
have tried Epson, IBM graphics, Apple LaserWriter, and some
others).  I know that it isn't hardware related because the
behavoir is the same on a 640K 8088, 1MB and 2MB 80286 with
EGA or VGA and on a 33 MHz, 4 MB, Northgate 386 at SVGA
resolution.  Any ideas on how to correct the problem?

I am also looking for a Win3 compatible version of
APPLETLK.DLL, the AppleTalk (or LocalTalk, now) driver.
I have a LocalTalk PC card on my 386, connected to a
LaserWriter and everything was working fine under 2.11, but
the driver that came with WinWord is not 3.0-ready, even though
WinWord itself is.  The driver is copyrighted by Aldus.  I have
Checked Aldus' forum on Compuserve, but I can't find anything.
Can't do any printing.  Please, HELP!  Thanks in advance.

Milan Ralitsch                        userHJL2@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA
Dept. of Chem., Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2G2
Compuserve: 72301,2724

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (08/14/90)

In article <1165@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA> userHJL2@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Milan Ralitsch) writes:
>Can anyone explain to me why the Symbol font in WinWord
>will not show correctly on the screen when the LaserJet III
>driver is loaded?  It does show with any other driver (I
>have tried Epson, IBM graphics, Apple LaserWriter, and some
>others).  I know that it isn't hardware related because the
>behavoir is the same on a 640K 8088, 1MB and 2MB 80286 with
>EGA or VGA and on a 33 MHz, 4 MB, Northgate 386 at SVGA
>resolution.  Any ideas on how to correct the problem?

I assume you are using the Symbol soft fonts that came with Winword.  I
can't tell you why, not knowing enough about font interaction, but the Win3
Symbol screen font doesn't like the Winword Symbol PCL fonts.  The solution
is to use the Windows screen font that is on the Conversions disk along with
the PCL fonts in place of the Win3 one.  Although they are somewhat
different, this hasn't been a problem for me.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu