[comp.windows.ms] Profiling and Peeking

dedalus@athena.mit.edu (Lewis J. Gramer) (08/14/90)

Is anyone out there aware of any more-sophisticated tools than the
Microsoft Profiler for doing procedure call logging and perf-testing
in Windows 3.0. For instance, a tool for protect or enhanced mode
(real mode even??!) which might provide calling sequences, return
values, and such. Also, are there any profilers that DON'T require
munging the source-code with "ProfStart/Stop" type calls?

Second, does anybody know of a more "refined" SPY-type tool, say for
looking at message streams for individual controls in a dialog, etc.
(This would also be for 3.0)

Any help is really appreciated from NetLand! ADVthanksANCE!

				Lewis Gramer
				dedalus@athena.mit.edu

| Lewis J. Gramer				dedalus@athena.mit.edu |
| (617) 625-0449  (home)			84 Oxford Street  #3   |
| (617) 252-5077  (work)			Somerville, MA 02143   |

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (08/15/90)

In article <1990Aug14.165728.8698@athena.mit.edu> dedalus@athena.mit.edu (Lewis J. Gramer) writes:

>Is anyone out there aware of any more-sophisticated tools than the
>Microsoft Profiler for doing procedure call logging and perf-testing
>in Windows 3.0. For instance, a tool for protect or enhanced mode
>(real mode even??!) which might provide calling sequences, return
>values, and such. Also, are there any profilers that DON'T require
>munging the source-code with "ProfStart/Stop" type calls?

I wrote a profiler that worked under Win 2, picking apart the CV/Symdeb
interface from Windows after getting a hint what interrupt to look at.
It's possible that it still runs under real mode in Win 3 (I haven't bothered
to look, since the MS profiler does do something there).  There's no chance
that it runs as-is under WIn 3 in protected (standard or enhanced) modes, which
are the interesting cases.  It featured the ability to display the profiling
results (and zoom in on segments) from within Windows, so you could see the
effects as you did different things with your program.

MS was not willing to disclose the official details of the Win 2 interface
to me, and my guess is that trying again relative to the CV interface for
Win 3 would be a waste of time.  I would re-write the profiler for WIn 3
given that information, though.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com