[comp.windows.ms] comp.binaries.* proposals

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (08/14/90)

rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
> Formal Proposal:
> old name:	comp.binaries.ibm.pc		comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
> new name:	comp.binaries.msdos		comp.binaries.msdos.d

Can we also add to the vote, when it comes to that:
  new group:	comp.binaries.mswindows

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this in comp.windows.ms, and
far too many binaries floating through that group.  Of course we'll need
a moderator first, though.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (08/15/90)

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>rja <rja@edison.cho.ge.com> writes:
>>Formal Proposal:
>>old name:	comp.binaries.ibm.pc		comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
>>new name:	comp.binaries.msdos		comp.binaries.msdos.d
>     I think this makes a lot of sense. After all, more non-IBM machines
>run MS-DOS than IBM machines do; and once (and assuming) that OS/2 starts
>moving along, the current group names would be confusing to the first-time
>user.

Agreed.  comp.binaries.ibm.pc is too ambiguous since there could be
binaries for DOS, OS/2, AIX, UNIX, Minix, Coherent, MS-Windows, etc...
All of these OS run on IBM PC/AT/XT/RT.  Almost all of the postings
are not even IBM PC specific (i.e. they will run on most MS-DOS
machines).  I think that naming the group along OS lines is better
than by company and product name in this case.

Also there has been mention in comp.windows.ms about MS-Windows
binaries.  Discussing creation of comp.binaries.mswindows may also be
appropriate at this time.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy