[comp.windows.ms] Win3.0 keeps extended mem. after exit

jim@interet.UUCP (User) (08/16/90)

We use Windows 3.0 on a 386 clone with 7 megs extended memory.  We have  a
small  (50K) program that uses Bios interrupt 0x15 function 0x88 to return
the available extended memory.  When run it reports the 7.0 Meg.  Then  we
run  Windows 3.0.  Then we exit Windows.  When we run the program again it
reports 0.0 megs of available extended memory! Our problem is that Windows
3.0 seems to fail to release extended memory when it exits.  This makes it
impossible to run other programs which use  extended  memory  after  using
Windows.  Note that we are not trying to use extended memory programs from
within Windows (I am not that brave).

Has anybody had this happen to them?

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (08/16/90)

In article <2@interet.UUCP> jim@interet.UUCP (User) writes:
>We use Windows 3.0 on a 386 clone with 7 megs extended memory.  We have  a
>small  (50K) program that uses Bios interrupt 0x15 function 0x88 to return
>the available extended memory.  When run it reports the 7.0 Meg.  Then  we
>run  Windows 3.0.  Then we exit Windows.  When we run the program again it
>reports 0.0 megs of available extended memory! Our problem is that Windows
>3.0 seems to fail to release extended memory when it exits.  This makes it
>impossible to run other programs which use  extended  memory  after  using
>Windows.  Note that we are not trying to use extended memory programs from
>within Windows (I am not that brave).
>
>Has anybody had this happen to them?

Yes, I reply with utter disgust. Read back issues of comp.windows.ms
for the past two months for the disgusting details.

Or contact me by e-mail telling what you want to do. I might have some
help.

Doug McDonald (mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)