[comp.windows.ms] Send Windows App output to PS file for later printing?

kperson@plains.NoDak.edu (Kerry Person) (08/17/90)

The title says it all, I guess.  I don't have a PostScript printer, but
I have access to one at work.  It's attached to a mainframe, so I can
upload ASCII files and print them with no problem.  But I'd like to be able to
print my Word for Windows, Excel, and other app output to it, but I can't figure
out how to send the output to a PS format file.  I have Windows 286, and there
seems to be no option to print to a file.  Or is there??

My apologies if this is a repeated question, I just started reading this group
today, and I didn't see that question asked recently.

Kerry Person
(kperson@plains.NoDak.edu)

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (08/17/90)

In article <5580@plains.NoDak.edu> kperson@plains.NoDak.edu (Kerry Person) writes:

>The title says it all, I guess.  I don't have a PostScript printer, but
>I have access to one at work.  It's attached to a mainframe, so I can
>upload ASCII files and print them with no problem.  But I'd like to be able to
>print my Word for Windows, Excel, and other app output to it, but I can't figure
>out how to send the output to a PS format file.  I have Windows 286, and there
>seems to be no option to print to a file.  Or is there??

You can print to a file in windows 2.1 by specifying a single file name
after the list of other devices

COM1:=
COM2:=
LPT1:=

etc.

add the file name

WINOUT.PRN:=

and then you can print to winout.prn (or whatever file name you choose)
by making the connection with setup.  I believe this is documented in the
manual.  This is somewhat a pain as you can only print to 1 file and if I
remember correctly, each print overwrites the file.

Windows 3.0 is much better in this regard in that it allows you to connect
a printer to file output and will prompt you for a file name each time you
print.
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

marc@metapyr.UUCP ( The Karate Kid ) (08/17/90)

In article <5580@plains.NoDak.edu> (Kerry Person) writes:
>The title says it all, I guess.  I don't have a PostScript printer, but
>I have access to one at work.  It's attached to a mainframe, so I can
>upload ASCII files and print them with no problem.  But I'd like to be able to
>print my Word for Windows, Excel, and other app output to it...
   (some stuff deleted)
>I have Windows 286, and there
>seems to be no option to print to a file.  Or is there??
>Kerry Person

I haven't seen this question here before and I feel that is a fairly
general question (hence the post reply).

In the WIN.INI file there is a section titled "[ports]".  There is a comment
on how to enter a file name for a port.  Use the control panel to set your
PostScript printer (there is an assumption that you have installed the
PostScript printer driver) to that "port".  When you then make that the
configured printer, any print will go to that file.  The PostScript driver
has an option to produce a PS file instead of a binary print file.  In
a nutshell:

    1.  Install the PostScript driver if not already installed.
    2.  Edit the WIN.INI file to add a file for output.
        (NOTE: I forget if there is already a "FILE:=" in the version
         of windows you have.  If so you can use this "port" and windows
         will prompt you for a filename when you start the print job.)
    3.  Use the Control Panel to configure the PostScript printer for the
        filename port (or the "FILE:=" port if available).
    4.  Setup the PostScript printer to print PS files (possible eps).

This should help you out.

"tired and shagged out from a prolonged squawk" - mpfc the parrot sketch

kperson@plains.NoDak.edu (Kerry Person) (08/17/90)

Many thanks for the responses I got regarding this question.  The technique is
in fact outlined in the text, so I am guilty of asking before I looked hard
enough.  Here's what the book says:

"
To send printer output to a file, follow these steps:
	1. Add the filename to the [ports] sections of your WIN.INI file.
	2. Quit and restart Windows.
	3. Run Control Panel.
	4. Select the Setup menu and choose the Connections command.
	   A dialog box appears.  The filename you added to WIN.INI is
	   displayed with the other ports in the Connections list box.
	5. In the Printer list box, select the printer on which you
	   eventually want to print the file.
	6. Choose the OK button.
You can list up to eight entries (including your normal port listings) in the
[ports] section.  Each time that you send printer output to the file, the
information that was previously in the file is overwritten.
"

This is from my Windows 286 book.  Details may vary between versions.

Kerry Person
(kperson@plains.NoDak.edu)