[comp.windows.ms] applications that use the mouse

wytten@cs.umn.edu (Dale Wyttenbach) (08/17/90)

Is there a way (in 386 enhanced mode) to run applications in a
window, and allow said applications to use the mouse?  A logical
thing would be a PIF property saying that an application takes over
the mouse when it's running, but there is no such PIF property that
I can find.

For example, MicroEmacs uses the mouse, but when I click anywhere
within the MicroEmacs window, the title bar changes to "Select
Micro Emacs".

And while I have your attention, is there a way to have windows
remember where you put your folders, instead of placing for you
every time (with an algorithm that results in overlapped folder
names) ?

gracias

dale

 Dale Wyttenbach		     |		...rutgers!umn-cs!wytten
 wytten@cs.umn.edu		     |		   wytten@umnacvx.bitnet
Computer Science Department Systems Staff--University of Minnesota, Minneapolis

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug16.184741.25517@cs.umn.edu>, wytten@cs.umn.edu (Dale Wyttenbach) writes:
> Is there a way (in 386 enhanced mode) to run applications in a
> window, and allow said applications to use the mouse?  A logical
> thing would be a PIF property saying that an application takes over
> the mouse when it's running, but there is no such PIF property that
> I can find.
>
> For example, MicroEmacs uses the mouse, but when I click anywhere
> within the MicroEmacs window, the title bar changes to "Select
> Micro Emacs".

I've always wanted this, but it would be necessary to disable the normal Windows
mouse operations in the window. It could get very confusing since as soon as the
mouse cursor left the window, it popos back into Windows mode. If you really
want the mouse, run the application full screen, then you've got no problems (as
long as you loaded the mouse driver before Windows).

--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |