[comp.windows.ms] Windows3 hangs on Zenith 386

pwolfe@kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (08/18/90)

We have a Zenith 386/16 with 7 Mb extended ram and a VGA monitor, and the newly
purchased Windows 3 program just clears the screen and hangs the system when
attempting to start up.

Can anyone help?

	Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
	System Programmer/Operations Manager, Kuck & Associates

prk@planet.bt.co.uk (Peter Knight) (08/20/90)

pwolfe@kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) writes:

>We have a Zenith 386/16 with 7 Mb extended ram and a VGA monitor, and the newly
>purchased Windows 3 program just clears the screen and hangs the system when
>attempting to start up.

>Can anyone help?

>	Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
>	System Programmer/Operations Manager, Kuck & Associates

I had a similar problem myself.  I am using a BT badged Zenith 386/16, except
as I am an OS/2 developer, I have 12MB of RAM.  The work around I have is
to install windows on drive e: and then change to drive e: to get either
the E:> prompt or the E:\WIN> prompt.  Then I start windows.  I guess there
is a file on the root of my boot disk that upsets windows, but I haven't
been able to find it, not that I have looked very hard.

Peter Knight

BT Research

Tel +44 (0) 473 644108

#include <standard/disclaimer.h>

laughner@news.nd.edu (Tom laughner) (08/20/90)

From article <1990Aug18.055414.1542@csrd.uiuc.edu>, by pwolfe@kai.com (Patrick Wolfe):
> We have a Zenith 386/16 with 7 Mb extended ram and a VGA monitor, and the newly
> purchased Windows 3 program just clears the screen and hangs the system when
> attempting to start up.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> 	Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
> 	System Programmer/Operations Manager, Kuck & Associates

We were having the problem with a Zenith 386 SX.

1.  If you have a permanent swap file installed, you MUST use Zenith's
SWAPFILE.EXE.  Zenith or Microsoft will send it free.

2.  We had to permanently rename SHARE.EXE.  For some reason they don't
get along.  I originally did my install without it (Microsoft recommends
SHARE.EXE be renamed before installing) and loaded.  When I exited and
changed it back to SHARE.EXE, it crashed.

Tom Laughner
DOS Consultant/Analyst
University of Notre Dame
TLAUGHNE@IRISHMVA
(219) 239-8270

tonyd@hplsla.HP.COM (Tony DeMartino) (08/21/90)

>We have a Zenith 386/16 with 7 Mb extended ram and a VGA monitor, and the newly
>purchased Windows 3 program just clears the screen and hangs the system when
>attempting to start up.

>Can anyone help?

Have you tried running with the /s or /r switch when running Windows ?
If it works with the win /s or win /r command, then you may have a non
supported VGA card that wont support 386 enhanced mode. Or maybe a memory
conflict of some sort in which case you will have to modify a certain
section of one of your .ini files in the windows sub-dir. It explains it
in more detail in the manual. Also, does it really hang the system or
is it running but you cant see what is going on ? This could be a clue as
to wheather it is the VGA card or not. You might also try running the
windows setup and select a differant type of VGA card.

God luck.