[comp.windows.ms] Recommended tools for MS Windows development using C++

ellis@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Cynthia Ellis) (08/16/90)

I am looking for recommendations for the "best" tools to use to
do MS Windows development using C++. I assume the Windows SDK
will be required (although please correct me on this assumption
if it's not true). Which C++ compilers work best with the Windows
SDK? Can one use Turbo C++ or Zortech, or is one restricted to
using ImageSoft's Glockenspiel translator and Microsoft C? What
other compiler options are available?

I'd be especially interested to hear from anyone who has already
done any MS Windows application development using C++, especially
in terms of what tools were used and what "gotchas" were encountered.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cynthia Ellis
Tektronix Inc.
Computer Research Lab

CHRIS_LAVENDER_WADE@cup.portal.com (08/20/90)

I have used Glockenspiel c++ with CommonView class library. You also need
SDK and MS C. It works.

You can also use C++/Views from CNS and they reccommend Zortech C++. I have no
experience here.

kearns@cs.columbia.edu (Steve Kearns) (08/21/90)

In article <33006@cup.portal.com> CHRIS_LAVENDER_WADE@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have used Glockenspiel c++ with CommonView class library. You also need
>SDK and MS C. It works.
>
>You can also use C++/Views from CNS and they reccommend Zortech C++. I have no
>experience here.

I recently spent 1.5 days trying to get C++/Views to work with
Glockenspiel C++ 2.0a.  No way.  Half the troubles were with
C++/Views (such as link errors when linking with the ATTlib.lib)
and the other half were problems with C++ 2.0a.

I really get the feeling that C++/Views has been tested/designed
especially for Zortech C++ 2.0;  therefore, if you are using
glockenspiel, do not get C++/Views.

-steve