[comp.windows.ms] Windows DataBases ?

cosc11d9@jetson.uh.edu (08/18/90)

Anyone heard anything about FormBase from Xerox Desktop Software or
Superbase from Precision Software.

I am interested in cost, availablity, ease of use, and any experience with
the products.

We are considering writing an application that will help manage data obtained
in a laboratory.  One major consideration is whether a field can be related
to a file?  It is also important to be able to see whats in the file irrelevant
of its format (i.e. TIFF, EPS, or encoded binary).  Other standard database
functions are also desired.

Please post replies to this newsgroup. Thanks.

nlane@garnet.berkeley.edu (08/22/90)

In article <6797.26cbe0ab@jetson.uh.edu> cosc11d9@jetson.uh.edu writes:
>Anyone heard anything about FormBase from Xerox Desktop Software or
>Superbase from Precision Software.
>
>I am interested in cost, availablity, ease of use, and any experience with
>the products.
>
>We are considering writing an application that will help manage data obtained
>in a laboratory.  One major consideration is whether a field can be related
>to a file?  It is also important to be able to see whats in the file irrelevant
>of its format (i.e. TIFF, EPS, or encoded binary).  Other standard database
>functions are also desired.
>
>Please post replies to this newsgroup. Thanks.

FormBase is not a Database - just a form creation program for things like pur-
chase orders and invoices.  SuperBase 4 is a fully relational database
program that includes it's own language (unfortunately based on BASIC).
Version 1.2 supports the following formats (graphics):
	.WMF   Windows Metafiles
	.EPS   Encapsulated postscript
	.PCX   windows paint
	.TIF   desktop publishing packages
	.BMP   windows bitmap
The picture files are stored in the regular files, i.e., they are not encoded
into the database itself.  They are references by an "External File" field -
that file can be a large text file, picture file or anything else - though
I don't know about viewing the *byte* contents of the files.

It is a *very* complete package and has grown since version 1.0 quite a bit.
The package now even allows access to DDE and DLLs - demo programs are
provided for those functions.  If anyone would like more information,
please e-mail.

**** My opinions are my own and I have no vested interest in Precision
Software besides being a satisfied customer wishing to spread the word ****

-Nathan Lane